Portable, Circumarual, Closed Cans - Help a newbie out
Oct 17, 2006 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Labelwhore

New Head-Fier
Well, I just started on this quest thanks to Head-Fi, but I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that such headphones do not exist.

The background to this whole this is that I went into the local Apple store and they had a whole bunch of iPods connected up with Triports for ppl to check out and listen to. When I tried a pair on I didn't mind the sound quality [I know, this probobly makes me an audioDEphile, rather than an audiophile], I LOVED the comfort and size, but HATED the price.

Ever since then I've been looking for something similar/better for cheaper! So would all the wise ones from this forum come forth and offer their suggestions.

I was fortunate enough to have a member (Derek8555) meet me on campus and let me check out the K81DJ's before buying them...Unfortunately, it was only when we met that I realized they were S/A rather than C/A, so they wouldn't fit the bill, but the sound quality, portability and price were definitely what I was looking for. He had suggested the ATH-A500+ line, however from the pictures I've seen, they seem to be a bit bulkier than I'm looking for, but as I said, let me hear some suggestions...

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 7
if you're not afraid of looking silly, there's the HD280 or the Ultrasone dj1. I mention these because like the v6, they have a coiled cable. It's cable length that can really kill portability IMO. I suppose ther Beyer dt250-80 can be added to that list. I've got the Beyer djx1 on the way to see how they do for full-size portable can that doesn't have a 5 mile long cable. May or may not suck, I don't know yet.

The A500's sound great for what they are, but the cord is thick and fragile, and the headphones probably won't stay on your head, and they're huge.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
if you're not afraid of looking silly, there's the HD280 or the Ultrasone dj1. I mention these because like the v6, they have a coiled cable. It's cable length that can really kill portability IMO. I suppose ther Beyer dt250-80 can be added to that list. I've got the Beyer djx1 on the way to see how they do for full-size portable can that doesn't have a 5 mile long cable. May or may not suck, I don't know yet.

The A500's sound great for what they are, but the cord is thick and fragile, and the headphones probably won't stay on your head, and they're huge.

I've had the HD280s, still use them for gaming, but they are just too bulky and ugly to be worn out in public...sound kinda unmusical, but good isolation though.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Thx for the input everyone...With me, size is everything, so cord lenght won't bother me much, but a giant headband/bulky pads might. Looking at some info for the V6/7506, they seem to fit the bill quite nicely...If anyone else has other suggestions, please come forth, but for now, I'm going to try to hunt down a pair of V6's in a store and try them out...

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 7
I haven't (physically) seen the new 2005 Beyer line yet, but they SEEM to be smaller than the older models. If that's the case, a DT770 may fit the bill. Still a very large headphone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back