Portable can that sounds like an HD600;
Apr 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately, I have found myself spending an increasing amount of my listening time OTG. My current portable setup consists of iPod Classic 160GB -> Toxic Cables Silver LOD -> Blaze S-1 (a Chinese amp "similar to" the RSA SR-71A) -> Oyaide OCC cable -> HD25-1 II. I am broadly happy with the sound, but I find myself missing both treble resolution/extension and soundstage, particularly when listening to orchestral music. When I hook up my HD600s from the "big rig" to the S-1, the sound is exactly as I would want it to be. The only problem is, I can't schlep the HD600s on business trips with me....

So, I am looking for portable cans for hotel room or office use (so isolation isn't that important) with the detail and soundstaging of the HD600s. Theoretically, the answer should be IEMs. I have, however, tried GR07s (won't stay in my ears) and Ety HF5s and Shure SE425s (great sound, but difficult to tolerate in my ears for more than about 20 minutes at a time). I suppose the default choice would be Beyerdynamic DT 1350s, but I have heard that they have the treble resolution, but not the soundstage. Alternatives I am currently considering are the new Audio Technica ATH-ES700, the Beyerdynamic DT 660 and the Yamaha HPH-200. Grados, I presume, will have even less soundstage than the HD25s...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back