portable amps vs safe listening
Jul 6, 2002 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

powerdog

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm trying to understand the value of a portable amp when you're (a) using headphones that are considered good for unamped listening from a portable and (b) keeping the volume low enough not to cause tinnitus, etc. Is there a difference in sound quality even at low volume? (Maybe you can just suggest some info online that would clarify this?) Thanks.

Jul 6, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 9
I can only speak from my own experience. I have the Senn 280s, which are rated at 64 ohms, and are generally considered "easily driven." I ran them out of my pcdp when I first got them and thought the midrange and highs sounded good, but the bass was lacking, particularly are reasonable listening levels. Most people disagree with me apparently, and think the HD280s sound find out of weak pcdp amps, though. I knew they could better because I ran them out of my home theater receiver and they sounded much fuller, with better bass. I bought an airhead amp and found the bass to be much improved, so much so that I would not recommend the 280s unless you planned on using an amp. My experience is that an amp does more than just make the sound louder, it can bring out more detail at lower volumes, which is important to me.

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm using Sony V6 as my portable phones, and they're considered to be one of the most easily driven phones on the market, but I do still use a portable amp (DIY'ed CMOY) while listening at low to moderate levels. The bass (if you can believe it) improves a great deal. It's much much tighter, and the midrange is far warmer, which is greatly appreciated on such a 'dry' sounding headphone.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 9
This is definitely a FAQ-like question but I don't think we have it in a FAQ anywhere yet.

Generally speaking, I can get any dynamic headphone I own or would want to own to go louder than I'd ever be comfortable listening without the aid of an amplifier. The point of the amplifier is to get it to a reasonable volume during complex passages without clipping and overall quality.

For what it's worth, I tend to listen a lot lower than most people. None the less, I very much am pro-dedicated amplifier.

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

For what it's worth, I tend to listen a lot lower than most people. None the less, I very much am pro-dedicated amplifier.

I agree. I find listening with am amp more satisfying. I also listen at low levels

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I'm using Sony V6 as my portable phones, and they're considered to be one of the most easily driven phones on the market, but I do still use a portable amp (DIY'ed CMOY) while listening at low to moderate levels. The bass (if you can believe it) improves a great deal. It's much much tighter, and the midrange is far warmer, which is greatly appreciated on such a 'dry' sounding headphone.

Agreed. The sound with a dedicated amp is much nicer.
Bass is complete and effortless. A low bass note from a classical orchestra is audible with an amp, and may be too much for a players own amp.

A good bass thump comes out of an amp, and a light thud out of an unamped device. Big difference.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 9
you definately (definately!) will be able to hear a difference with a dedicated headphone amp, even at low listening levels. The most stunning example to me though was using average run-of-the-mill headphones with a portable cd player with and without the use of a headroom airhead amp. The difference is unbelievable. The differences become even more astute when using decent headphones, or a better amplifier.

Headphone amplifier is a bit of a misnomer. Sure, it is an amplifier for headphones, but it isn't about getting it to be louder, it is about providing a cleaner output to your headphones, at whatever levels you listen at. The difference isn't subtle.

Driftwood

Jul 11, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
This is definitely a FAQ-like question but I don't think we have it in a FAQ anywhere yet.

Is there a FAQ? We should have a headphone newbies FAQ sticky thingy in each forumn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 9
just my $.02 cents.....

i just upgraded my amp with a better op-amp and i am using my HD600s out of my fortissimo II....i listen at an even lower volume than before....and it sounds really good.....and..if i get the urge i can turn it up......

and as far as why a headphone amp.....i think you really have to try one to see why everyone likes them so much...

ray
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back