Portable amps that are "good across the board"?
Sep 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier
I hope I am not asking a lame question here. Is there any amp one would recommend that could do the 'magic' cross-genre, from classical, jazz to trance, and even to heavy metal?

And would be a really good combination with anything you'll pair with it; not only synergistic with "particular amps" (such as the well-known ESW9 - Voyager combo).

If I absolutely have to give earphones to reference with :

ER6i
ESW9 (I like the lushness of its sound)
Livewires (coming soon)
JH13 (possible future purchase)?

Because well, I find that if I have to get more than 1 amp to match the music I hear and the 'phones I use...it'll be troublesome and expensive.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Well if you could change OPamps and buffers each time you change phones, that would prolly help. + a gain switch

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I have found the Practical Devices XM5 to be a very versatile amp. Take a look at it if you are looking for a feature packed amp.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.I. Unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any amp one would recommend that could do the 'magic' cross-genre, from classical, jazz to trance, and even to heavy metal?

XIN Supermicro IV.

Quote:

And would be a really good combination with anything you'll pair with it; not only synergistic with "particular amps" (such as the well-known ESW9 - Voyager combo).

Pico.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Given the headphones you listed, the pico slim will be a perfect fit when it comes out. Otherwise, nearly any portable camp can handle all of those, with the understanding that the more quietly you listen, the worse most of them are going to sound due to the low quality volume controls most portable amps have.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XIN Supermicro IV.

Pico.

I might consider the Xin's someday when I'm a full-time working adult...plus the abysmal waiting time I've heard, sort of puts me off too. Sorry about it.

About the Pico...I heard it's warm and lush (I think I do not like bright or analytical-AKG 701 kind of sound), would that match my preferences?

Since we're on the topic, what do all of you think about the Voyager's sound?

If I have used any terminology wrongly, please bear with me. It's been a very long time since I actively took part in audio discussions... Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the headphones you listed, the pico slim will be a perfect fit when it comes out. Otherwise, nearly any portable camp can handle all of those, with the understanding that the more quietly you listen, the worse most of them are going to sound due to the low quality volume controls most portable amps have.

Please, do elaborate on the last part.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Most portable amplifiers use really terrible potentiometers because that's what fits in the cases used. To get good low volume response you either need a portable amp with negative gain, or that implements some alternate volume control. The TTVJ Portable and the Pico Slim do this better than anything I've heard. I'd be interested in a full sized amplifier with a volume control similar to the one in the slim.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most portable amplifiers use really terrible potentiometers because that's what fits in the cases used. To get good low volume response you either need a portable amp with negative gain, or that implements some alternate volume control. The TTVJ Portable and the Pico Slim do this better than anything I've heard. I'd be interested in a full sized amplifier with a volume control similar to the one in the slim.

So the Pico doesn't have its cousin's capability? =/

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 18
The pico definitely doesn't have the volume control the slim does. I'd rate the pico slim as the best portable amp I've heard to date. The pico for me was all about the dac it included.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 18
The Pico DAC/Amp has a better volume control then the D2,D10, and headroom micro, but it was nothing compared to the Audiotailor jade.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 18
I really like my D10 for all genres, the default configuration is excellent all-round, but you also do have the option to switch out your op-amps and buffers to tweak for your SS preference. I have no problems with my volume control, as I normally listen at a level past any balance problems, which only occur at extremely low listening levels. IMO, it is a very good amp, and a great value, with incredible flexibility for the the price.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 18
My choice for "all around" portable would likely be the Ray Samuel's SR71A. It's got the quality sound of all of his products, and it's also higher voltage so it works better with high impedence 'phones.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

About the Pico...I heard it's warm and lush (I think I do not like bright or analytical-AKG 701 kind of sound), would that match my preferences?

Pico is the most neutral amp I heared - neither cold, warm, lush or analitic. It is a all-rounder for various cans and genres. But I can not recall any case of outstanding synergy with it. Pico is all about compatibility, not synergy. Though compatibility it provides is ideal.

In contrary, Supermicro handles some cans with excellence (f.e. ER-4S, KSC-35, ATH-CM700, DT990), some not. With former it sings sooo enganging and beats any portable I heared with any music genre.

Frow what I read, Minibox E+ may cover both areas, combining both compatiblity and passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back