Portable Amps a problem at Airports?
Aug 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Das Mookid

Head-Fier
I'm a happy owner of an iBasso D10.

I'm flying out on a business trip next week and I'm wondering if anyone has had any trouble getting a portable amp through security (carry on).

The D10 has a fairly thick metal casing and I'm a little worried they won't like it. . . I'm sure they don't see too many portable amps.

Am I being paranoid?

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 26
I know this is in OZ, but I dont have any problem flying with my D10, its a pretty professional looking package; I think most of the time people have problems with more DIY looking setups. I dont fly with my main portable rig, I leave that in my bag and just bring either iriver->D10->JH13 or iphone 3g->JH13. if you have a more complicated or DIY looking rig; just dont have it all hooked up to bring on board, have it all in pieces separately.. but yeah its pretty easy to demonstrate the purpose

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 26
Yeah, my experience was their curiosity. They wanted to know what it was in a positive way. I think think they've seen enough now that they don't bother with them anymore.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 26
I've flown all over the Pacific region (Korea, Japan, Malaysia and Hawaii) as part of my job and I never encountered any problems carrying my setup.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 26
Never had trouble. There is an old thread about this and I think I remember HeadphoneAddict mentioning about his traveling with several amps without problems. I don't know Larry personally but he is the kind of guy who would not travel without a minimum of 10 portable amplifiers.
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 26
I'm going on a business trip in two weeks and was worried bringing my Mini3 and LOD cable with 30GB 5th Gen. I'm still a little weary, but more assured that others have done it without issues. Are there anyone that had issues or had to ship the amp back home? If so, what airport and/or airline.

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 26
Likely the only portable amp that would ever get you in trouble at the airport would be a CMOY or any other portable amp that looks specifically homemade.

I've carried my PA2v2 back and forth through security dozens of times without so much as a second glance. A small metal-housed USB stick attracted more attention once than the amp did.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 26
I fly constantly accompanied by my RSA SR71 and Ipod Classic in a chunky Yotank case with no problems.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 26
I have never had a problem and have gone through security with multiple portable amps at one time before. On my last trip, I was stopped by security for the first time ever after my carry-on bag was scanned twice and they wanted to search it. I automatically assumed it was my portable amp and/or my lod/mini-to-mini stash I had in a bag, but it was actually a plain old hardcover book that caused all the trouble. Go figure.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 26
Airports are mostly trained to scan for weapons during the screening process. I don't mean to sound ridiculous but its a lot easier than you think to bring things through. I travel across the world every year, and nothing has ever gone wrong.
They've checked my computer for traces of explosives several times, once the machine went off but then they said they've been having trouble with it and asked me to turn it on.

Like someone said before, wire-cutters will go first, then nail clippers, and then liquids. As well, they are pretty nice (albeit slow) and aren't usually complete dicks if something is wrong. Usually you can talk to them pretty nicely and get things by.

On that note, CMoys aren't that big of a problem. They'll ask you to open it up and MAYBE check it in their explosive residue tester but that's it.

Although its not a, YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TROUBLE situation, it's pretty close. Like I said, I've travelled from US to China, India, Germany, Canada to Mexico, France, England, Austria, and etc. I've had more trouble when I was 9 and brought toy guns than I've ever had with an amp or even an CMoy.

For ever problem you'll hear about a CMoy, (even though they'll be let by afterwards) you'll find 10+ stories where nothing happened. And in a world were negative news travels 4 times as fast as positive news...

Sorry for the essay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back