Portable Amps a problem at Airports?
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 26
I've brought multiple amps on flights with my H140 over the years and never had any serious problems....though a few times I've been asked what it is, or they look at it more than once on the scanner.

Last week on a trip, I was pulled aside at two separate airports (Central Wisconsin and Louisville) and had to wait for them to evaluate my H140/D10 (using optical and strapped together with black gel bracelets). Both times a supervisor had to be brought in for a second or third opinion, and they swiped it for explosives...but they let me through. In Louisville, the analyzer operator thunked my rig down on the table kind of hard....I wasn't too happy about that.

That's the first time that's happened. I'm pretty sure if I had disassembled everything and removed the optical u-cable, I would have skated right through. The optical cable does look suspicious...

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 26
I usually have my HeadSix attached to my iPod with Velcro, and have always carried it in my hand baggage.

Have flown a couple of times to/from India with no problems.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 26
You have a much higher chance of problems by bringing an amp that looks obviously DIY. All of the horror stories I've read were from DIY amps made out of an altoids tin. All it takes is a worried passenger to tell security about it. Then they'll open it up and see wires, batteries etc. Ignorant people will absolutely freak out over something like this. Remember when Boston was essentially shut down from a few lite-brite devices around the city? They were boards with lights on them, which displayed a cartoon character. The authorities thought they were bombs.

I wouldn't even think of using an altoids tin amp on a plane. If you read some of the horror stories, you'll know why. Even if the chance is still small, it's not worth it.

Anything in a nice aluminum enclosure or commercial amps will probably be OK. I've been on six flights with my tomhawk/3g nano setup.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 26
There have been a few problems. Big problems. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's huge. Delayed flights, interrogations, etc.

Always from DIY amps that look thrown together (altoids tins for example).

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #24 of 26
I was a little worried first time bringing my PA2v2, mainly because back when I was in highschool all the kids would claim I had a bomb strapped to my PSP..

Why a bomb would have a volume knob, is beyond me.. Crank up the explosion!

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #25 of 26
I put food on the table w/ my flying job. Always carry different types amps around when I fly domestic or int'l routes. Never had problems... Well I never listen to it on duty of course
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 26
I travel quite a bit and from my experience any strange electronics just get a extra few seconds of viewing my the xray attendant before they let it through. I don't think you would have anything to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back