Portable amp without dac for ESW9
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TaZ82

Head-Fier
What I have currently at the moment can be found in my sig. However my amp sort of died on me so I am currently on a lookout for another one.

I have no fixed budget and I do not require a dac. Hope to get some suggestions as to which amp is will go well with my setup.

What I am looking for:
1)Good Bass (deep and tight)
2)Engaging sound (mmm wide soundstage and good vocals?)
3)No dac

I listen to Pop, Jazz, Instrumental, Alternative and Rock.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 13
I can tell you the iQube sounds GREAT with my ESW9's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Generally look for a brighter amp, since ESW9 does need a bit of a kick in upper midrange.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Appreciate the suggestions!

Guess I will go try the iQube in about a week or two
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this out http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/own...p-best-312175/

boomana highly recommended Minibox E+ ( under USD 500 budget ), which you already have, whats up? Would you be so kind to tell what you dont like about it please.

I have nothing against the amp itself, only the overall packaging and its internal circuitry. All the minibox amps I have bought only work till it runs out of battery power. After that I could only use the amp if its plugged into the wall socket. Hence I am looking for an amp with better built quality and documentation which suits my ESW9.

Jun 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 13
I am contemplating getting a Meier 2Move. Has anyone compared the 2Move to the minibox e+? Currently wondering whether does it have the same synergy with the ESW9 as did the minibox.

The iQube is pretty much out of reach at the moment for me and I do not think my music library is great enough to warrant such a purchase. I can get the 2Move for AU$299 and that is probably the maximum amount I am currently willing to fork out for a decent amp. It will be great to hear some more opinions before I take the plunge.

Cheers all
Adrian

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaZ82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the minibox amps I have bought only work till it runs out of battery power. After that I could only use the amp if its plugged into the wall socket.

Well that applies to anything battery powered, it only runs until the battery runs out so it seems that what you are after is an ac powered amp but at the same time you dont want to use one pluged into the wall socket. So you dont want battery powered and you dont want ac powered, then what do you want ?

I suppose you are after some sort of passive amplification then but I don't think that has been invented, and even if it was your player needs power to run. I'm totally confused or just a moron who misunderstand you.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Maybe I did not explain it right. Sorry about that.

I recharged the amp overnight (after depleting the battery). <- pretty much standard
Tried to power it up but it just wouldn't. (the battery is full. confirmed it by plugging the amp to the wall charger)
I had the same problem with my minibox d, hence the reason why I am looking for another amp.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaZ82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I did not explain it right. Sorry about that.

I recharged the amp overnight (after depleting the battery). <- pretty much standard
Tried to power it up but it just wouldn't. (the battery is full. confirmed it by plugging the amp to the wall charger)
I had the same problem with my minibox d, hence the reason why I am looking for another amp.

Aha, yes that makes sense. I suppose that will be the problem with all the amps with captive batteries and a reason (one of many) why I love my Xin SuperMini as it just uses 2 AAA batteries. Eventually it will probably also happen to me with the D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back