Portable amp with synergy with AKG cans
Jul 6, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Well at the moment I am listening to K340's through a Xin Refernce and that is absolutely fantastic. I didn't get to try The Reference with my K240DF or K271S before I sold them but the sounded fine with my (also sold) Xin Supermacro LE adn Xin SuperMini-III

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 10
I know this sounds crazy, but the best portable amp for it is really the Dreamworks X-tra X1-pro. I've heard it, and it has ample power to drive the cans. It's tube like sound goes very well with the k501. Moreover the amp is really bassy which actually compliments the k501. I mean, they cancel each other out, in a way.
I'm going have to say I'd prefer this setup to a k701 any day. (Unless the k701 is driven really well by a high-end amplifier)

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, I am thinking a K271S for closed (a little more privacy and "submersion") and K501 will be more than acceptable for classical (chamber, piano, voice). I do have an iBasso T2 and like it for its size and decent SQ. Will it work with abovementioned cans or I am gonna need to get something better? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the K701 sounds awesome when ampped by a RSA Hornet.
The synergy is superb ...

I second that... Further, IMHO, the RSA SR-71 sounds even better with the 701's.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
How much of a weakest link will be an iPod 4G 20GB ( do not want to bother with lossless, otherwise my music collection will require re-ripping and a new 80GB iPod). Thank you.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well at the moment I am listening to K340's through a Xin Refernce and that is absolutely fantastic. I didn't get to try The Reference with my K240DF or K271S before I sold them but the sounded fine with my (also sold) Xin Supermacro LE adn Xin SuperMini-III

Your old K240DF sound excellent on my Hornet M with plenty of gain to spare. I also don't find the bass to be lacking with this combination, but maybe I'm not a basshead.

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your old K240DF sound excellent on my Hornet M with plenty of gain to spare. I also don't find the bass to be lacking with this combination, but maybe I'm not a basshead.

Glad you like them and that they arrived safely. I could never make up my mind about the K240DF, with some recordings I liked it a lot but with others it left me cold.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that... Further, IMHO, the RSA SR-71 sounds even better with the 701's.

And I'll third that. Superb is right. The Hornet pairs very well with K501's and K701's IMO. It's a synergy that almost put's the Hornet on par with desktop amps in the same pricerange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back