Portable amp with iAudio M3L?
Jun 22, 2005 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chewmanji

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Haven't been posting much on this forum in a while...in fact I never really have...been more of a lurker even though I've been kickin around here for a bit. Anyway, I never really committed to a home system; I could never muster up enough cash to set one up.

So I have ventured into the world of DAP. I should be getting my M3L by the end of the week, but I was wondering how much it would benefit from an amp. I like using the inline remote on most players, but I'm a bit leery as to the quality of signal from the remote, especially if it's going to an amp.

Ideally I would want a line-out level signal into an amp, but I'm not really sure if I can achieve that through the M3's remote. The headphones I would use would be basically anything in my collection: HD580, D66, SR80, and I might eventually get into canalphones.

Any opinions on the applicability of a portable amp for a M3L? Should I even bother, and if I do, what would be a good match?

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Doesn't the M3 come with a portable connector that attaches to the bottom of the player (like the Sik Din unit for the iPod)? It has a true lineout port on it that should be used to connect to an external amp via a mini-to-mini interconnect cable. The remote can still be used to control the player itself, while the amp would control the volume for your headphones.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 9
It really depends on what headphones you're using and what amp you get. Some low impedence canalphones just don't receive much if any noticeable benefit from using an amp besides maybe decreasing the noise associated with using the headphone out on the remote. At least that has been my experience. If you plan on using something like the 580's, an amp would probably be ideal. Of course when using the amp you would want to use the line-out attachment (not the dock) that comes with the player.

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 9
The problem with the line-out adapter subpack is that nothing actually holds the adapter on the player other than the friction of the plug contacts. It's not a secure mechanical connection:

pic_m3_acc_subpack.jpg

This was confirmed by Austin (who has done the extensive review at iaudiophile). What it does is makes the line-out much less useable when you're in portable mode.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Chewmanji, the iAudio M3L has been reviewed to be a good sounding player.
As has been mentioned here you will have an option of listening to the player through the headphone jack on the remote control, or you connect the
included mini-dock to the player the mini-dock provides a line-out for
you to connect the player to a home stereo, headphone amp, computer,
etc.

First listen to the player with all of your headphones. Get a feel for the player and how it sounds on your equipment. Load your mp3 player with different encoded, and even lossless formatted music and you will be able to hear the difference in audio output. The iAudio players have good EQ, you might be able to obtain your desired music output from the player itself.

If after listening to the player, you decide that you still want a better audio output, then look into adding a headphone amp to your setup. Purchasing and using a headphone amp can get quite expensive. AMP-ing your soon to be iAudio M3L will have some advantages, but it will be at an additional cost to you. Then add in Interconnect cables, rechargeable batteries, recharger, etc. and the charges will continue to grow. But you can find a modest setup at a low price to be satisfied.

Do a search on your player on the "PORTABLES" forum section here. People
have written up reviews of the iAudio M3L players, with various headphones
and amplification. You can read more information on what works for them and see if you are interested. Then check out the "AMPLIFICATION" forums for more information on what type of amp you want to add to your setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
It really depends on what headphones you're using and what amp you get. Some low impedence canalphones just don't receive much if any noticeable benefit from using an amp besides maybe decreasing the noise associated with using the headphone out on the remote. At least that has been my experience. If you plan on using something like the 580's, an amp would probably be ideal. Of course when using the amp you would want to use the line-out attachment (not the dock) that comes with the player.

I disagree (but that is ok, everyone has their own opinions,) most low
impedence headphones (canalphones included) will receive dramatic
noticeable benefits from using an amp. Infact with just the fact that by using
an external portable headphone amp, you are not maxing the volume on your player (thus running out of battery power quicker.) Also at higher volumes,
most portable audio are not able to output clear audio and with better quality headphones you will hear distortion, music encoded artifacts, etc. With an added amp, the player can be kept at a moderate volume level and the amp's volume will be increased. The amp shoule be able to handle higher volume without distortion within certain limits.

An amp would improve the sound of the 580's.

Quote:

Of course when using the amp you would want to use the line-out
attachment (not the dock) that comes with the player.

If you should decide to go with an amp, the amp should be connected through
the line-out. The Mini-Dock that comes with the iAudio M3L has a line-out
jack. So therefore it should follow ...

Player > Mini-Dock's line-out > interconnect cable > amp > headphones.

So do a search there is plenty of information available here on your player, headphones, interconnect cables, and when you are ready information for the AMP you may want to add to your setup.

Sorry about your Wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the help guys.

I completely forgot about the subpack. I'm guessing i can still use the remote while outputting through the subpack?

Weel I can say safeway that I won't be spending on an amp anytime soon; I just wanted an upgrade option/path if I were to become unsatisfied with the M3L's sound. Of course that would also depend on the quality of my music files.

And rab10, I appreciate the warning
tongue.gif
but I do realize the cost buildups. That's what got me away from setting up a home system. I was a source component away from a complete system (Corda HA-1 MkI) back in the day before I realized at the time I couldn't really afford upgraditis.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I disagree (but that is ok, everyone has their own opinions,) most low
impedence headphones (canalphones included) will receive dramatic
noticeable benefits from using an amp. Infact with just the fact that by using
an external portable headphone amp, you are not maxing the volume on your player (thus running out of battery power quicker.) Also at higher volumes,
most portable audio are not able to output clear audio and with better quality headphones you will hear distortion, music encoded artifacts, etc. With an added amp, the player can be kept at a moderate volume level and the amp's volume will be increased. The amp shoule be able to handle higher volume without distortion within certain limits.

Considering that low impedence canal phones should not be run anywhere near maximum volume, I don't see how any of the points you bring up are relevant. Using something like an e5c or UM2 at even 3/4 of the maximum volume could seriously damage your hearing. This is exactly my point in regards to the benefits of using a portable amp with low impedence canalphones. They are efficient enough to be run from any output. I've done A/B comparisons with the M3L using the line out with various portable amps using a low impedence canalphone. In my experience there was not a dramatic difference between the two, in fact, the difference was quite subtle. The 580's on the other hand would be a completely different scenerio considering they are much harder to drive. (Which we agree on, but I get the feeling you don't think I do.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
If you should decide to go with an amp, the amp should be connected through
the line-out. The Mini-Dock that comes with the iAudio M3L has a line-out
jack. So therefore it should follow ...

Player > Mini-Dock's line-out > interconnect cable > amp > headphones.

But why would you use the mini dock's line-out? Its bulky and impractical which defeats the entire purpose of having a portable setup. Just use the line-out accessory like I already mentioned.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
But why would you use the mini dock's line-out? Its bulky and impractical which defeats the entire purpose of having a portable setup. Just use the line-out accessory like I already mentioned.

I think we are all talking about the subpack, not the desktop dock.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm going to have to go with rab10 on this one. Low impedance needs lots of current to sound their best, whereas high impedance needs voltage to sound their best. The majority of daps out there are not powerful enough to deliver the current that the low impedance needs to really come into their own, but most daps can easily supply the necessary voltage to the high impedance to make them sound somewhat good.

Now, sounding their best and having more volume are two separate things - the low impedance is easier to get to a louder volume than the high impedance; however, due to the current hogging nature of low impedance cans, their performance usually suffers as a result from the lack of current that the DAP simply cant provide, the low impedance is very cumbersome in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back