Portable amp to power sennheiser 650 without fatigue?
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Kasper

Head-Fier
Any suggestions for a portable amp that can drive my sennheiser 650 with a sweet sound and no listening fatigue?
listening to headphones very easely gives my fatigue and the only setup I have found in Denmark I enjoy listen to is my current Rega Apollo, ear and sennheiser 650 setup. I would probably like the audio technica W1000 even more, but they are not for sale in Denmark and right now I have another problem wanting my money.
After becoming a father I listen mostly in my bedroom where my laptop is the only source and it can´t run the S650 right. So, after wisiting this site a number of times i figured i needed a portable amp. A 2007 headroom portable micro amp with the dac would be an obviuos choice. but its a bit expensive and every body here seems to like emmeline the hornet more. But I am very open to suggestions and opinions as to which amp would be rigth for my fragile ears.
Thank you for helping out

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 28
X2 on the Hornet. Only portable amp I've heard though, but it's really good.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for a portable amp that can drive my sennheiser 650 with a sweet sound and no listening fatigue?
listening to headphones very easely gives my fatigue and the only setup I have found in Denmark I enjoy listen to is my current Rega Apollo, ear and sennheiser 650 setup. I would probably like the audio technica W1000 even more, but they are not for sale in Denmark and right now I have another problem wanting my money.
After becoming a father I listen mostly in my bedroom where my laptop is the only source and it can´t run the S650 right. So, after wisiting this site a number of times i figured i needed a portable amp. A 2007 headroom portable micro amp with the dac would be an obviuos choice. but its a bit expensive and every body here seems to like emmeline the hornet more. But I am very open to suggestions and opinions as to which amp would be rigth for my fragile ears.
Thank you for helping out

What kind of music do you listen to?

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 28
mini^3

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 28
I think I will buy the Hornet. I really like the looks and many suggest it as the best. Any ideas to which interconnet cable would be most warm and forgiving. I only need a short cable with mini jacks as I also will use it with my Discman.
My Hd650 will soon be upgraded with stefan audio art Equinox cable, just so you know my system.
Again thanks for the help!

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 28
Forgot to tell which music I listen to. Almost every thing from Blue rock to classic including a lot of world music. Even ocasionally tibetan munks chanting. But on headphones I mostly listen at lower volumes at night. I like rock music more on my speaker setup.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 2007 headroom portable micro amp with the dac would be an obviuos choice. but its a bit expensive and every body here seems to like emmeline the hornet more.

The Pico will also be offered without the DAC option as just a portable headphone amp, which most likely will be less than the the Hornet--almost positive. Coupled with the fact that the Pico is approximately the same size as the Tomahawk, but unlike that tiny amp that's only IEM compatible the Pico drives IEMs plus full size headphones with ease excluding something like the K1000s. Having owned the Hornet for a substantial amount of time (many months) and used it almost daily, the Pico is superior sounding and drives the HD650s better than any portable amp I've heard with absolutely zero fatigue.

I've also owned the Apollo and we share a similar sensitivity so I do relate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back