Portable amp recommendations?
Oct 12, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #31 of 38
Well, if you look at the number of posts I've made so far you'll realize I'm a fellow newbie
tongue.gif

I just happened to read about this on Xin's site yesterday and thought I'd mention it. If I decide to go for the Supermono though I still plan on contacting xin and ask if there is any way he can make one with a P to S switch for me.

PS, gegroet, noorderbuur!
icon10.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTC
Well, if you look at the number of posts I've made so far you'll realize I'm a fellow newbie
tongue.gif

I just happened to read about this on Xin's site yesterday and thought I'd mention it. If I decide to go for the Supermono though I still plan on contacting xin and ask if there is any way he can make one with a P to S switch for me.

PS, gegroet, noorderbuur!
icon10.gif

The Supermono comes with an optional upgrade for the P-to-S converter, bass boost (good for Etys) and crossfeed. IMHO, I think that the maxed-out Supermono with all the options will be better than the Portacorda II (I remember someone comparing it favorably with the SR-71), but it will cost significantly more too.

Since the Supermono hasn't been offically announced, I think you should wait a couple of weeks for someone to review it first (hopefully it will be announced by then).

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

The Supermono comes with an optional upgrade for the P-to-S converter, bass boost (good for Etys) and crossfeed

Cool, didn't know that! Can't wait for it to get released and read the reviews. Up until now I had been leaning towards the Sr-71, especially since there's a combo package available with this amp and Etys from TTVJ, but I must say the extensive customisation that seems possible when buying from Xin is starting to make the supermono sound more and more appealing.

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
imgp0403s.jpg

imgp0405s.jpg

imgp0409s.jpg

imgp0429s.jpg

Oh the supermono is just all too cool! I'll have to wait until next year though, when these amps find their way in the For Sale forum at a discounted price.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #35 of 38
Hi all, I started on this thread only just, and realised that there are more than enough portable amps for me to chose from. Basically started hearing about Headroom Airheads, then Xin Supermini, then Zmoy from Z-audio.

Problem is, different amps probably sound differently to various phones. I am not using the Etymotics as most had talked about here. Wonder if any kind person here can make recommendations for Shure E5c? I am using it with my iRiver H340 if that makes any significance.

Appreciate any comments,

Best Rgds,

Oct 17, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #36 of 38
One silly question.

Amps are suppose to boost the outputs of the sound, in this case, power up the phones which the Portable CD player or Mp3 players are not able to beef up. Question is, if my MP3 player has a 3.7V battery outpuut, the External DC Power Supply has a 5.0V output, does it mean that by using the DC power, I can have "more" amplification for my phones?

Kindly enlighten,

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa
One silly question.

Amps are suppose to boost the outputs of the sound, in this case, power up the phones which the Portable CD player or Mp3 players are not able to beef up. Question is, if my MP3 player has a 3.7V battery outpuut, the External DC Power Supply has a 5.0V output, does it mean that by using the DC power, I can have "more" amplification for my phones?

Kindly enlighten,

Try posting this question as a stand-alone thread and you'll get a better response. I'd be interested to hear the answer as well.

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa
Wonder if any kind person here can make recommendations for Shure E5c? I am using it with my iRiver H340 if that makes any significance.

There is a debate on whether an amp will make a big enough difference for the E5c. Others even commented that the E5c is worse with an amp. I doubt that is true with the SR-71 and similar quality amp. There are old posts covering E5c and amps, so do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back