Portable amp recommendations?
Oct 9, 2004 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TTC

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm in the proces of upgrading my portable setup somewhat and I'd like to add a portable amp. I've been looking at the headroom airhead and headsave mint-vibe, these any good? Any others I should look into?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 9, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 38
Budget : preferably under $150, but I'll wait a little longer and plunk down a little more if need to be. $200 is my absolute maximum though. That said, I'd like to hear about cheaper options (like the $65 headsave) as well.

Setup :

source : SONY NW-HD1 or MZ-E10 (tho the latter may have to go if I like the HD1 enough).
Ears : Anyone who has read my post on the headphone forum will know I'm upgrading these too. The list is down to either the ety ER-6i or ER-4s.
etysmile.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 38
If i were you i will get the Headsave Go-Vibe, its a great portable amp, simple and very good sounding.

But if you are planing to spend ... 200 bucks, go and get the Meier Audio Porta Corda MKII, much better in everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 38
Thanks Van, the headsave just moved higher up the list. Good sound apparently and, IMO, good looks!

Keep it coming though guys, I'd like to hear about as many different models as possible! How about the xin super mini and super micro for instance?

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 38
Thanks CFM, I'll add it to the list. I must admit there's a bewildering amount of choices available though.......I guess that can only be called a good thing, but it doesn't exactly make life easier for a newbie!
etysmile.gif
I'm even considering the wonderful emmeline SR-71 now, and that's WAY over the initial budget. Don't know if I can justify that amound of money tho.

Oct 10, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 38
Has anyone done a detailed review of the ER6/6i with and without an amp?
I'd look into this before shelling out SuperMono and SR71 prices. That said, both those do wonders to the ER4S, and worth their prices. Wouldn't say that for the ER4P, and that's why I asked about the ER6/6i. Course I don't know the output of the NW-HD1 or MZ-E10 by itself. My comments refer to the iPod.

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 38
Well, since I'm buying new earphones as well I can decide on those in function of the Amp I'm buying. From what I've read so far the Er-4P with the -S adaptor seems the best choice given that they'd still provide sufficient bass if for some reason I'm out and about without the Amp.

I'd like to find out about the Er-6i in combination with a Amp too though, if I decide to go with a cheaper approach the -6i seems like a good option.

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 38
Thanks Kiwirugby, the mini and micro are already on the list!
etysmile.gif

I wouldn't mind looking into the mono everyone's talking about though, but it doesn't seem to be listed on xin's site? I'm really still undecided as to my ultimate price level, if you are to believe some posts here anything "cheap" might not be worth the trouble, so right now I'm looking into prety much everything that is available. One thing I feel is really missing is some sort of comparison between the various portable amps out there. I realize most people here probably know what to look for, but it would definitely help set a newbie on the right track!
icon10.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 38
TTC,

Probably not a good thing for your wallet that you're keeping your options open!!! This place will eat your wallet alive....and the seat of your pants....quite possibly your backside too!!!

Recently, there have been some reviews of the SuperMono with the SR-71 and PIMETA, and it seems to me that although differences exist, much depends on the kinds of equipment and configurations used. Howvere, I think the alternatives to the SuperMOno are slightly preferred.

What I do think is that there is some possibility (maybe mostly in the ears of the aduitory holder!) that there is a difference between these amps and say $300 and up and those of a lesser cost. (I'll probably get killed for that comment!) Now, I have a SuperDual which is really good for me, but not quite as good as JMT's PIMETA (but mine is only transportable).

In my limited and relatively young experience in all this, I have found Xin's products to be of excellent quality for the price, but I know there are many really good amp products out there, especially from DIYers. You're lucky to have such a good set of products to choosed from, and you're equally inlucky in having to make a choice!!!

If only there was a way for you to try these out before you decide!

Oct 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTC
Well, since I'm buying new earphones as well I can decide on those in function of the Amp I'm buying. From what I've read so far the Er-4P with the -S adaptor seems the best choice given that they'd still provide sufficient bass if for some reason I'm out and about without the Amp.

I'd like to find out about the Er-6i in combination with a Amp too though, if I decide to go with a cheaper approach the -6i seems like a good option.

If you are considering the ER-4P then skip the P to S adapter and pick up a used Xin Superdual. It has a P to S converter built in, along with bass boost that makes the ER-4P's sound spectacular! Check the for sale forums here, they come up occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back