Portable amp recommendations?
Oct 11, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Recently, there have been some reviews of the SuperMono with the SR-71 and PIMETA, and it seems to me that although differences exist, much depends on the kinds of equipment and configurations used. Howvere, I think the alternatives to the SuperMOno are slightly preferred.

I'm not so sure about the last sentence. Extremely few comparisons have been made, and most of those that were (including mine) warned that a beta SuperMono (that has been improved since) was used. I wouldn't want those considered definitive, and so would be careful about generalizations like the above. Certainly out of those three amps, I wouldn't place the SM (even beta) in third.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Probably not a good thing for your wallet that you're keeping your options open!!! This place will eat your wallet alive....and the seat of your pants....quite possibly your backside too!!!

Tell me about it! six months ago (before I first started visiting here) I didn't even know about portable amps. But like you say :

Quote:

You're lucky to have such a good set of products to choosed from, and you're equally inlucky in having to make a choice!!!

Fully concur. Still confusing though!
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

If you are considering the ER-4P then skip the P to S adapter and pick up a used Xin Superdual. It has a P to S converter built in, along with bass boost that makes the ER-4P's sound spectacular! Check the for sale forums here, they come up occasionally.

Will do! Even if I don't get one of his products with the built-in adapter I'll probably purchase his 75 ohm adapter. Seems way more handy than having to haul another stretch of cable around!

Btw, can anyone point me to some pics of the supermono? Can't find any on xin's site, and whereas it is only of secondary importance to me looks would definitely help me decide given that it is apparently close in performance to the other amps of its price-range.

Thanks for all the responses gents, it's great to still get answers despite undoubtedly being the millionth guy asking the same question!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 38
Thanks, that doesn't look bad at all! Seems to be smaller than the emmeline sr-71 too (which I think looks REALLY classy, but the supermono seems a close match).

/Edit : that said, looking at the pics on the RS site again the emmeline may be about the same size. Anyone know?

Does anyone also know what the retail is going to be for the supermono (I gather it isn't available yet)?

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 38
blessingx,

Thanks for your perspective on my rather sweeping generalization. I made the mistake probably of going by others' impressions.

Since I have one on order, I am delighted, however, on your assessment in that I may be getting a better product than I thought. You made my day!

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #21 of 38
Believe they are like... $199, $249, $299. $199 is super basic, $249 is the "normal" version, and the $299 is the one with all of the switches and such. The 249 and 299 ones include 2x stacked buffers. OP134 opamp is standard and xin has said combined with the BUF634 he has the distortion below 0.0006%, so I'd recommend going with that, then getting some samples from TI if you want to try different opamp combos.

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTC
/Edit : that said, looking at the pics on the RS site again the emmeline may be about the same size. Anyone know?

sr71b.jpg

sm-sr71.jpg

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 38
Heres a pic of the silver default version, I'm unsure if this is a prototype or a final production, but notice the cutouts for the different options (this is the $299 version) and how they are not even top to bottom all the way across. Doesn't mess with performance at all, but you can definatly tell the quality difference between the SR71 and the supermono.

imgp0443s.jpg

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 38
Thanks blessingX, looks like the xin mainly wins in the height department. That said, I can see now the emmeline is smaller than it "looks", and the size difference isn't enough to influence my final decision.

Quote:

Heres a pic of the silver default version, I'm unsure if this is a prototype or a final production, but notice the cutouts for the different options (this is the $299 version) and how they are not even top to bottom all the way across. Doesn't mess with performance at all, but you can definatly tell the quality difference between the SR71 and the supermono.

Yep. Still, like you say the final version might be better finished. If Xin can get all the holes aligned then that's a neat looking amp there.

Well, still undecided.
rolleyes.gif
Perhaps I'll wait to hear what headfiers think of the production model in comparison to the sr-71. If the Xin is close in performance then the top of the line version will still be a good $100 cheaper than the emmeline.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #26 of 38
I am looking for a portable amp too in combination with Ety ER4-P or S's. Now my choice for the amp is down to the Xin Mono or the Porta Korda MK2, but still can't decide to take the ER4P or ER4S ety's. Since both sound different with both amps, who can tell me what is the best combination and what are the differences?

PS. Only two posts down, but I've been with you guys for a long time (just for the read).

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 38
How about getting an ER-4P and a P-to-S adapter as well, so you can have both to use in different situations.
etysmile.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
How about getting an ER-4P and a P-to-S adapter as well, so you can have both to use in different situations.
etysmile.gif

I figured that out so far, but what about the two amps in combination with one of these Ety's? Which one is better, since the xin has an internal P-to-S adapter, will the xin sound better with them? Lot of unanswered business
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
I figured that out so far, but what about the two amps in combination with one of these Ety's? Which one is better, since the xin has an internal P-to-S adapter, will the xin sound better with them? Lot of unanswered business
smily_headphones1.gif

Ojjorz, are you certain the Xin supermono comes with a P to S switch? I mean, quite possible you read or heard something I didn't
icon10.gif
, but I'm just asking since I know the Xin SuperMini and SuperMicro used to have a P to S switch, but according to Xin's site it is no longer fitted to new-made Supers. Would be great if it was included in the Mono though, that'd be another factor in its favor.

PS, even if the amp I settle on doesn't have a P to S function I'll still be going with the Er-4P myself in combination with this neat little P to S plug xin makes :

http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/IMGP0379s.JPG

way more handy than the etymotics adapter cord and somewhat cheaper too.

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TTC
Ojjorz, are you certain the Xin supermono comes with a P to S switch? I mean, quite possible you read or heard something I didn't
icon10.gif

Maybe i'm mixing some amps up. Im pretty new in audiophile-world; I was reading this forum for a long time to come in prepared, but I shouldn't have bothered
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like a good combination for me Ety & Xin, still doubting about E3C with the Porta Corda MKII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back