Portable amp recommendation campfire audio jupiter
Jul 7, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 14

Headstage Arrow.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Jul 7, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 14
The head stage arrow is a great amp but a poor DAC doesn't support lossless or anything higher than cd quality so depends on the app your using. I found out the hard way I would need a separate DAC to play high res music from my onkyo player on my phone. But it can be used as an amp only and it is a great amp just not a great DAC/amp all in one.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 14
The head stage arrow is a great amp but a poor DAC doesn't support lossless or anything higher than cd quality so depends on the app your using. I found out the hard way I would need a separate DAC to play high res music from my onkyo player on my phone. But it can be used as an amp only and it is a great amp just not a great DAC/amp all in one.
which 5tx? My buddy plays flac on his 5tx and phone.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 14

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Headstage Arrow 6NX 

The new Headstage Arrow 6NX is a stylish headphone amp in an ultra slim case with high output power and long battery run time. It uses the OPA2107 opamp and BUF634 buffers to achieve a high fidelity sound. "NX" stands for a crystal clear neutral sound with "extra" output power (added BUF634 buffers).

Digital Volume Control

A digital volume control with 65-steps and mute function has been implemented. Especially users of IEMs will prefer this new volume control over the old analog potentiometer as there is no imbalance between right/left channels.

Portable/Stationary USB DAC

The Arrow 6NX contains an USB DAC with a conversation rate of 16-bit/44.1kHz which equals to CD quality. It works on PC/Mac computers as well as with Android phones with the provided USB-USB OTG (on-the-go) cable. Apple devices may be connected via the "Camera Connection Kit".

Automatic Power Adaptation

The "Arrow" is the only headphone amp to use an automatic power adaptation. The battery voltage of 4V is boosted to a voltage just as high as needed to provide a distortion-free sound--with a maximum voltage of 11V. This patented technique provides high power output along with exceptional battery run-time. 

Automatic Power Switch

Another unique feature is the illuminated power switch that can be set to OFF, ON or AUTO. In AUTO mode the amp will automatically turn on when an audio signal is connected, and off after the music stopped playing - with a 5 minute delay. 

Ultra Slim Design

The design with carefully selected parts provides an ultra slim amplifier with a height of only 8.3mm (0.33''). It is one of the most portable amplifier. Special production techniques have been invented to build an enclosure with exceptional quality. 

Features

• Patented Power Adaptation with up to 14V Internal Voltage
• Maximal 11V Output Voltage (Peak to Peak)
• 30 Hours Battery Play Time
• 65 Step Digital Volume Control with Mute
• High Resolution USB DAC 
• ON/OFF/AUTO Illuminated Power Switch
• Three Selectable Gain Settings
• Two Bass Switches (Amount and Frequency)
• Treble Switch 
• High-Capacity 1200mAh/4.2V Lithium-Ion Battery
• Two Audio Input Jacks (Front & Rear Side)
• One Headphone Jack
• Low-Battery Indication (Slow and Fast LED Blinking)
• Size: 8.5mm x 56mm x 98mm (0.33'' x 2.20'' x 3.86'')

Warranty

• 14-Day Money Back Guarantee (after Receipt)
• 2-Year Extended Warranty

Package Contains

1 Arrow headphone amp (one battery installed)
1 USB Cable 50cm (~20 inches)

US $ 399.00 

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 14
Yes it's DAC is 16 bit 44, better DACs today and not from 5 years ago are:
High-Resolution Audio
Supports PCM audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit.
So your high resolution audio from the onkyo player would need to be downgraded to 16 bit 44 to use its DAC or just play direct as an amp with no DAC. Either way it's a waste of paying for an outdated DAC.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 14
Its mainly an amp and most use it as an amp. The dac is an option. The Cowon and Arrow sounds as good as the Cowon and the Mojo.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 14
Yes but the original question asked for an amp to use directly with their phone which they most likely would need a built in DAC as well unless they were going to carry three things. Therefore the mojo is probably better for their needs, mine also since I'm not going to carry multiple devices. The mojo plays 32 bit quad DSD 256 instead of 16 bit 44 which is the same as your phone jack so no gain in the DAC only amp. I love the arrow as an amp I'm just surprised he still uses a 7 year old DAC and hasn't upgraded that yet even cheap dragon flys have a better DAC of 24 bit 96.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 14
I use the Mojo but its heavy and daily charge is a must plus in my case I need to EQ to push its bass.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I have a Cowon pd32 which I think has a fairly mediocre DAC and does always sound light in bass unless you equalize it. I've stop using the Cowon because I find the onkyo hf player sounds much better with my mojo than the Cowon with most amps I've tried and the Cowon itself can't power much. Only nice thing about the Cowon is the battery last forever. I find the onkyo app makes your phone plus a Mojo hard to compete with for portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back