Portable amp nonsense
Oct 16, 2007 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kpeezy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, until recently I had a mini^3 and I loved it. Unfortunately, I sold it for gas money
blink.gif
Sad day huh? Well, I'll be getting a tube amp for my desktop in a few weeks, but until then I'm looking for something else. I was just wondering if there was a cheap portable amp that will drive my HD580's at least decently until I get a desktop amp. Also, I'll be using this with my er6i's/whatever other IEM I decide to get even after I get a desktop so it's more than just short term. I will probably even using it with my HD580's some when I have long study sessions at on campus and things of that nature.

Well, I guess I'll try and sum up this rambling post. Looking for a cheap portable amp (between $50 and $100) to use with my IEM's and ocassionaly HD580's. Go-vibe? What are my other options? Are there any? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 15
get another Mini^3

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 15
Get another Mini^3.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 15
cmoy ~ get jseaber one or penguinamp
Voila~ budget value.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the C&C box+ it's a fun amp that can be had cheap used and it works well with HD580's

Kpeezy, based on your first request ($50.00 to $100.00) I would go with the C&C Box+ with the new reefinements to the chassis and lettering on that chasis for $109.50 new with warranty!

Now if your backing down to $75.00 tops do look into a better known cmoy builder
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Don't mean to hi-jack, and might help the OP in the end, but i am also looking at the C&C Box+ for my UE superfi 5 pros and semi cheap senn's.

Is it a decent amp for $110? I know it won't stand up against the likes of the Tomahawk or a headroom, but will it be pleasant to listen to and make a marked difference if used with an iPod LOD?

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on my next portable amp
frown.gif
I might end up just getting another Mini^3 I guess.. No other options closer to $50/$75?

I don't think you'll obtain equivalent (or better, for that matter) performance with the cheaper options. The price/performance ratio on the Mini^3 is rather high.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 15
Glass-jar audio sells mini^3 kits for $90, so some DIY experience could save you some $$$. Its not an easy build for the first timer though.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't mean to hi-jack, and might help the OP in the end, but i am also looking at the C&C Box+ for my UE superfi 5 pros and semi cheap senn's.

Is it a decent amp for $110? I know it won't stand up against the likes of the Tomahawk or a headroom, but will it be pleasant to listen to and make a marked difference if used with an iPod LOD?

The BOX+ will keep up with the $300 amps, IMHO. Plus it has those switches... And a very efficient recharging system (great thing for portable use, needless to say).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back