Portable amp for zen vision m
Mar 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

homers54321

100+ Head-Fier
im thinking of buying an amp for my ZVM 30GB. My price range is about $50-$60. I listen to mostly rock/rap/electronic music. My priority is an amp that best matches the ZVM form factor. SQ comes second. What are your thoughts on the PA2V2? Its form factor is a bit smaller than the ZVM, but it falls in my price range.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 7
I have a M and use a C&C XO for my portable setup. I had a Go Vibe 5 hat sounded great with it and have heard a PA2V2 and thoght they sounded quite similar. I would recommend checking the for sale section here for either amp or even post a wanted to buy ad...you may get lucky and find someone that has one in a drawer they wouldn't mind parting with. I bought the go vibe for $35 here and have since given to my son.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't have my Zen M anymore ... but I sure loved it when I had it ... great player.

I used it (via LOD) with a Practical Devices XM4 amp and the fit/match was perfect:

zen.jpg

I even had a little belt clip holster for them both that I hacked out of a cel phone clipon ...

Good luck with your hunt!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 7
i just wanted to note that i will be using my UM1s with the amp. is it worth getting an amp if im going to use the UM1s? also, will the UM1s "hiss" with an amp?

lastly, what are peoples thoughts on the mini^3 amp? i would consider increasing my price range if its a considerable upgrade over the pa2v2 and other amps in the $50-60 price range.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 7
yep if you can stretch to the mini^3 I highly recommend it. it competes with amps costing much more. also you may consider the minibox E+ which should be back in stock at head direct shortly. as an aside though. I wouldnt go spending more on an amp than your HP's are worth. you will get much more improvement from buying yourself better IEM's IMO. the amp should actually get rid of any hiss you are getting. but yeah I wouldnt recommend getting an amp for the UM1, spend most money on HP's, then source, then amp, then whats left over spend on cables. I usually break that rule personally, but thats the way it should be from what I read hehe

actually now I think about it when i'm using my lisa rig its a bit skewed, or VCAP. but my every day portable rigs kind-of follow that
tongue.gif
but it also works when i'm using fullsize cans with lisa III my fullsize are worth more than the amp, but my VCAP dock+ cables are also worth more than the amp. oh what the hel, do what you want hehe. but I still dont think you should spend too much on an amp if all you are amping is UM1. UM1 are nice for gym or super portable, but once you add an amp the rig is no longer super portable and you may as well havce got better or bigger Hp's

sorry for the long winded reply.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 7
thanks for the reply. very informative. i think im going to look around for a used penguin caffeine amp or a used mini^3 amp <$100. then maybe down the line, i will upgrade my headphone (maybe shure se530). not quite the order u suggested but it'll all work out in the end
smile_phones.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 7
headphone first is what I recommended; you are unlikely to get much improvement with UM1. you will get less hiss, but thats it. the areas an amp helps with are: bass detail and control, soundstage and extension in the highs. all of these wil be pretty much lost on the UM1 IMO. either way, the mini^3 is a good choice and will allow you to make a new HP purchase without feeling you need to upgrade your amp straightaway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back