Portable amp for Sennheiser HD558 - maybe the FiiO E6?
Apr 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tim182

New Head-Fier
After a lot of searching and reading on this forum I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser HD558 a couple of weeks ago. I have already done the foam mod and am very happy with the headphones. Now its time for a portable headphone amp.

A bit of background: 

- I use the headphones at home and when travelling (ie. hotel etc) but not when walking around. So basically, I need something portable (battery powered) while size isn't really an issue.
- I mostly use the headphones with an iPod Nano. Sometimes I also use them with my phone. As a result I also want to get a LOD cable for the iPod. 
- I mostly listen to rock, anything from classic rock to modern heavy stuff.
- I enjoy a sound with a bit more bass so it would be nice if the amp was able to boost the bass a bit.
- 98% of my song collection is mp3s, most in vbr with an average of 180 kbit/s or more. I own and listen to very few songsdecoded in flac
- I want to spend $50 or less. I don't think I use my headphones often enough to justify spending any more than that.

I currently am considering the following:
- FiiO E5 with iPod LOD
- FiiO E6 with iPod LOD
- FiiO E11 with iPod LOD (although that's actually over budget and I'd prefer to stick with the E5 or E6.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 6
The E6 should be good enough for a volume boost. It also has a fun EQ setting for bass boost. The very small form factor is a plus as well.

I would suggest the E11 if you can extend your budget a little...I think you could get a E11 used for under $50.....

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
The E6 should be good enough for a volume boost. It also has a fun EQ setting for bass boost. The very small form factor is a plus as well.

I would suggest the E11 if you can extend your budget a little...I think you could get a E11 used for under $50.....

Thanks, what is the benefit of going for the E11 as opposed to the E6 for headphones like the HD558 connected to an iPod?

If its worth it and makes a real difference I will definitely spend the extra money and get the E11.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
The E11 has a lot more power when compared to the E6. The E6 can give you a little volume boost but the E11 also adds some characteristics to the SQ. The music sounds more refined. It has better resolution and improves the bass response etc.

It will be a better choice power wise for your 50 ohm cans now and in future, if you upgrade.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
The E11 has a lot more power when compared to the E6. The E6 can give you a little volume boost but the E11 also adds some characteristics to the SQ. The music sounds more refined. It has better resolution and improves the bass response etc.

It will be a better choice power wise for your 50 ohm cans now and in future, if you upgrade.

Thanks, I will probably go for the E11 then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back