Portable amp for RE0s
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RubberDucky451

New Head-Fier
I really only use music on the go, i'm looking for a portable amp that'll help out my RE0s. Currently i have a E5 but an upgrade is much needed. I have around 130 bucks to spend. Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 10
do the RE0 really need it? i have some in the post to me now, and reading all (and i mean all) the reviews on headfi of the RE0 (plus a couple of others) they all seemed to say it benefited, but did not require, an amp. and @32 ohm it shouldnt need one.
whats your source rubberducky?

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the RE0 really need it? i have some in the post to me now, and reading all (and i mean all) the reviews on headfi of the RE0 (plus a couple of others) they all seemed to say it benefited, but did not require, an amp. and @32 ohm it shouldnt need one.

I thought the RE0 was 64Ω (according to the head-direct website). Also, the sensitivity is somewhat low at 100dB/mW. The benefit of an amp tends to increase with higher impedance and reduced sensitivity.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 10
The reason RE0 benefits from amping, beside the issue of slightly elevated impedance, is that the relatively cold analytical sound signature has really good synergy with a warmish amp such as T4 or E5, not to mention that the slight bass boost can really give the music a more lively presentation.

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

when people say something "really needs amping" what they mean is once you have heard it amped you wont want to listen to it unamped. ie it really makes them so much better you owe it to your ears too

not that they cant be used unamped or doent sound good unamped too

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason RE0 benefits from amping, beside the issue of slightly elevated impedance, is that the relatively cold analytical sound signature has really good synergy with a warmish amp such as T4 or E5, not to mention that the slight bass boost can really give the music a more lively presentation.

I would agree with that certainly. I do not have a T4 but I do have the E5 and it makes the RE0 more fun to listen to. Preferable in that respect to a D10.

The source in this instance is a Sansa Clip.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 10
ok i got my RE0's through in the post, and apologies i got my numbers wrong. they are indeed 64ohm.
after about 30 hours of burn in the bass has gotten better than i had expected. not bassy, definately below what i would consider balanced, but not unpleasent. maybe a bass booster like the E5 would be nice, but ive not heard one personally.

i have a 5th gen ipod classic 80GB as my source, and i also have an ibasso D10. the ibasso doesnt add £200 worth of SQ improvement over the ipod. it adds a little more bass depth and quantity, a little more treble extension and clarity, and brings the mids forward slightly, but honestly i think the ipod 5th gen has a decent enough inbuilt amp.
the cost/benefit ratio of adding an amp to the ipod classic for these phones just isnt worth it IMHO.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

..the cost/benefit ratio of adding an amp to the ipod classic for these phones just isnt worth it IMHO.

Some of us are more than willing to pay $200 for the last 5~10%, but some of us don't. The real trick is to figure out which group of people you belong to
wink.gif
That's why small cheap amp like FiiO E5 is so useful for - once you listen to it, you can either stop if you are happy or move on if you are not, and it won't cost a big hole in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back