Portable Amp for Re0's and D2000's - DAC/Amp or Amp + DAC?
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MightyFine Shindig

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm looking for an amp (my first) that would compliment both of these headphones. I understand that where the re0 lacks in bass, the d2000 has plenty of it. For that reason I really have no clue for what amp to get that suits both of these 'phones.

DAC would be a nice feature for when using at home with the D2000's which currently are coming straight from the onboard soundcard.

There is no budget yet, I'm only looking for suggestions at this current time, but it would probably be no more than $200.

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Update:
After some research, recommendations for the Arrow 12HE have got me thinking again, is there enough of a difference in sound quality to warrant buying the 3move DAC/Amp over the Arrow12HE + an external DAC for the desktop alone (Specific to these 'phones if possible)?

external DACs such as uDAC or Headphonia.com - USB DAC Stick Headphone Amplifier (Sound Card).

I am also now taking into account the practicablity of carrying the amp around with my iPod when on the go.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm interested in this too,sorry to thread jack
smily_headphones1.gif

After reading about the RE0's for £61,i bit.
Hopefully some amp that can be sourced in the UK too....?
Sorry Op,ill move if i have to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 16
For that kind of budget, I think we are mainly talking about iBasso here for the best bang for bucks. If you push your budget close to $300, Meier Corda 3MOVE can drive RE0 wonderfully.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 16
thanks very much ClieOS, I guess it'll be a longer time before i get an amp, but I can wait
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you think the RSA Predator or iBasso D10 compares to the 3Move for these phones, or do they not pair very well?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think the RSA Predator or iBasso D10 compares to the 3Move for these phones, or do they not pair very well?

I haven't heard either one, so no comment.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 16
I have the iBasso P3 and with opamp rolling you can find a good synergy with either the re0 or D2000. I have both and I use the P3 mainly with the D2000.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 16
iBasso D4 Mamba DAC/AMPs (highely recommended) has high quality Dual DAC chip for two channels(right,Left) and it's comparible to Pico, D10 with great amplifier included(best bang for buck).

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for the responses everyone, I've decided to go with either the 3Move or D4, which ever shows up first in the FS forums.

The 3Move has been said to go great with both these phones and can be used with an adapter at home whereas the D4 is highly regarded but has a short battery lifespan; albeit less expensive.

A final word on either of these two amps?

Thanks,
MFS

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Sorry 'bout the lateness but I strongly suggest the Headstage Arrow 12HE. It is the best thing that ever happened to my RE0 and I can't stop bragging about it.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you check the reviews (which are VERY good) you'll find it's even capable of driving the HD600/HD650 so it may work wonders with your D2000 as well. It looks great too!

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Hi Negakinu, thanks for the suggestion. I really like the slim design and battery life of the arrow from what i've read. The price of it is between that of the D4 and 3Move. I'll keep it in mind although I would like the DAC function.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 16
Hi, I got a hifiman EF2 for my D2000, and quite happy with it. The EF2 cost around $250 our money, including good tubes from ebay. I can still remember tossing up between this and ibassos as well, but in the end I reckon I won't need DAC on the go. YMMV or course.. and good luck with your hunt
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 16
I'll throw in a X2 for the Arrow. It drives my Ultrasone 780's amazingly (which admittedly aren't the hardest phones to drive). With its adjustable gain, it seems to have endless power. It makes me sort of wish I could have heard the D2000's I had a while back with it, as I'm sure I'd have thought of them in a much more favorable light with this kind of amplification. But unfortunately I wasn't to discover this amp until a good number of months after I returned the D2000's.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Updated OP.
For the 3Move I've read that it can be used with a 12V wall adpater at home. I have a few 9V wall adapters for my guitar pedals, would I be able to use these?

Straight out of a computer, will there be a quite noticable difference in SQ if using an amp/dac or amp alone, given that my soundcard is some cheap unknown Realtek card from 4 years ago using Realtek HD audio manager? Also taking into account that I can get an external DAC at a later time.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9V wall adapters for my guitar pedals, would I be able to use these?

Jaycar got switchmode psu for $30, but with them there's a slight chance of hum. And to make things complicated for you, the difference between hd realtek and DAC is night and day. From AB-ing between realtek+amp vs dac+amp, for me it's no contest. And despite the low impedance, D2000 are hungry cans that must be properly fed to shine.

If you're in a hurry, why not play with fiio E7? cheap as chips and you might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back