Portable amp for my AKG K271MKII headphones
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rymitch162

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm new to the community and i need some help deciding which portable amp I should get for my AKG K271MKII headphones. I've been researching about some different amps over the past couple of days and I think that RSA's SR-71A or The Hornet would work well with headphones but im still not 100 percent sure if im right. Which one of these amps do you think would work best for my phones? or would you suggest another amp that would be more suitable for my cans?

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 6
My $100 Total Airhead works very well for them. Actually I have the k240 Studio, but they're basically the same, except yours is closed.

I also have the Nuforce Mobile which includes a DAC also, but I don't like it with my k240.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I own a pair of the AKG K271 Mkii phones (wearing them now!) and would not recommend their use with a portable amp. I also own the TTVJ portable amp and even on high gain the AKGs don't show what they're capable of. There is volume but little control, compressed dynamics and a harshness which just wrecks the pleassure of using these phones. I'd point out the the TTVJ is not a cheap amp and has "high output power" as one of its selling points. I'd figure that if this doesn't drive them well, not much out there would in the portable market...

The AKGs need good current delivery, which realistically would only be provided by a desktop amp with its substantially better power supply.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...

regards,

Giles

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the advice Giles... it isnt really what i wanted to hear but its definitely what i need to hear, Cheers.
Could you suggest a desktop amp that would work well with my AKG cans

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm currently using a Naim Headline with a Naim Napsc power supply which would go for about USD 1100 ( I'm in Australia and have a good relationship with my dealer so I paid quite a bit less than that). I've also used a Headroom Desktop amp (USD 4-500 IIRC) which wasn't too bad. I'm running a Cyrus daD7 cdp and a Wadia iTransport into a DacMagic feeding the Naim/AKG as my desktop set up at work which gives you the context of my listening.

To be honest I think what you choose should be based on your budget and your ability to audition different amps. It also depends on your musical tastes as well, the Naim for instance is a forward amp with a narrow soundstage, but good instrument separation which majors in PRaT (Pace, Rhythm and Timing). For my range of music - electronica, prog rock, be-bop and kraut rock it excels. I suspect on the other hand that if I liked street soul and counytry and western it may not fair too well, sounding somewhat "hurried".

Searching the full-size amps forum may give you better insight into what's out there. As you were originally looking for a portable amp, I'm assuming your budget isn't too high. Altho I haven't heard them things like the Gilmore lite, the Schitt Asgard and the Headroom micro might be on your shortlist - these are all around the USD 3-400 mark, other s may be able to give more light. Again sorry that I can't give you a blanket recommendation, all I can do is give you my experience in the context of my tastes and budget. Hope it helps in some small way.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back