Portable amp for k701/702 possible?
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Yo duders,

So my question is a simple one - is it even possible to drive the k701/k702 from an portable amp?

If so, which one?
k701smile.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 21
I have better experience with Chinese made amps. For the K701, I use the C&C Box+ with the low gain setting. The interconnect (mini) is the Moon Audio Blue Dragon V1. The paring of the two is quite good. The right synergy is obtained with the two. This is my opinion.

Happy Holidays

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 21
Headroom ultra micro, shares the max topology and has very similar sound quality, with the astrodyne psu. Just get a solid mini to rca interconnect and a good source.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 21
These amps are very expensive. I was thinking budget amps - should have stated that in the original post i guess :p - sorry guys.
Anyway if the amp is more expesive than the k701 it is too expensive
biggrin.gif

So do you really need to get over the 100$ for a portable amp for the k701?

Edit: The C&C Box+ looks interesting btw

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 21
The TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable works very well with my 701s. A very musical pairing. You can get one new now for $376 or used for about $300.

I like the combination so much, I bought another one as a spare.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonasklam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway if the amp is more expensive than the k701 it is too expensive
biggrin.gif

And that, in a nutshell, is where so many Head-Fiers start on the slippery slope. Its not carved in stone, but rule of thumb with hard to drive cans is:

- be prepared to spend twice the price of the cans on an amp to drive it
OR
- check the FS forum to get something like the Heed Canamp at the right price
OR
- consider an easier to drive headphone

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 21
Some of these amps (iBasso, e.g.) are not $250 or more, which is the MSRP of the K701.

Regardless, as others have mentioned, high ohm phones like the K701 are going to require a lot of money to be properly powered. My suggestion is, instead of skimping on quality and going for a portable amp much less a budget portable amp, go for a desktop amp that pairs well the with the K701 (you'd have to ask K701 owners for this, because I'm not sure which one to suggest here) and can power it properly, but get it used either from Audiogon or the For Sale forums here. There are some great used deals both on Audiogon and here, and, for the most part, users on both sites are reputable and keep their equipment in great condition versus somewhere like eBay.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless, as others have mentioned, high ohm phones like the K701 are going to require a lot of money to be properly powered. My suggestion is, instead of skimping on quality and going for a portable amp much less a budget portable amp, go for a desktop amp that pairs well the with the K701 (you'd have to ask K701 owners for this, because I'm not sure which one to suggest here) and can power it properly, but get it used either from Audiogon or the For Sale forums here.

+1

Do it once, and do it right. In many cases, much cheaper to simply opt for a different pair of headphones.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 21
look, i own 701 and headsix. there's no way it can drive the 701. it may seems that it can drive it......even if you buy the best portable amp out there, it may seems be able to drive it but as soon as you hook it up with proper desktop amp especially the one that has synergy with it, you'll quickly discover that the difference is night and day

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Thx for all the replies guys!
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that, in a nutshell, is where so many Head-Fiers start on the slippery slope. Its not carved in stone, but rule of thumb with hard to drive cans is:

- be prepared to spend twice the price of the cans on an amp to drive it
OR
- check the FS forum to get something like the Heed Canamp at the right price
OR
- consider an easier to drive headphone

See comment below..

Quote:

Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of these amps (iBasso, e.g.) are not $250 or more, which is the MSRP of the K701.

Regardless, as others have mentioned, high ohm phones like the K701 are going to require a lot of money to be properly powered. My suggestion is, instead of skimping on quality and going for a portable amp much less a budget portable amp, go for a desktop amp that pairs well the with the K701 (you'd have to ask K701 owners for this, because I'm not sure which one to suggest here) and can power it properly, but get it used either from Audiogon or the For Sale forums here. There are some great used deals both on Audiogon and here, and, for the most part, users on both sites are reputable and keep their equipment in great condition versus somewhere like eBay.

I know the k701 really requires a high end amp to drive it but it is way out of my budget right now.
So i was thinking - get and "cheap" portable amp to drive both my Phonak PFE and the k701 untill i get my hands on more money.
And meanwhile I am keeping an watchful eye on the for sale forums and Audiogon (thx for the suggestion btw
tongue.gif
) to get a Heed CanAmp or something like it.
Soo is it really possible to drive the k701 fairly from an cheap amp?
(thx for the suggestions on C&C Box+ and iBasso)
beerchug.gif

- or should i just save my money and listen to my k701 from a dry source 'till I can get the Heed :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back