Portable amp for IEMs
Feb 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent portable amp for IEMs for sub $300. Some of the ones I'm looking at are the C&C box+, the minibox e+, and the RSA tomahawk. Will be using with SE530s and UE Triple.fis. I guess my main question is, if using with an iPod is the tomahawk worth the extra cash or should I just stick with a cheaper amp like the C&C since I do my high end listening on my MicroStack desktop setup?

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 13
I guess I'm wondering about the bithead too...I used to have one actually i just don't know how it compares to any other portable amps...I love the sound of my MicroStack and I guess the sound of the bithead sounds a little tepid to my ears, but do all portable amps just sound this way?

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the Tomahawk for my IEM's and haven't looked back. I have amps for my other headphones. But for your headphone stable the Tomahawk sounds great and is the way to go for portability and battery life IMO.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 13
My only experience is with the Tomahawk. I found that with the amp the music delivered by the IEM is more textured with depth, bass is more defined and the sound is warmer. Sorry, don't have the audiophile terms down.

It's hard to imagine that I would go back to unamped, other than for running. In that case simpler is better and SQ isn't as meaningful.

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Today I just got a Headphonia Lyrix-Pro to use with my ER4P's.

$98 shipped (got it on e-bay)

Dead silent at low gain full volome and just a tiny bit of hiss at high gain with the volume at 3 o'clock or higher.

Sounds great too, especially with FLAC files.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 13
post in the amp thread and everyone will tell you about their favorite amp

even when an amp may not be "the solution"

even on "low gain" settings for amps that have them, any gain can be too much with these iems

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about no amp?

these posts seem to be relevent to a new thread each day recently

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ne...1/#post3825973

an additional option with output attenuation is passive eq, passive/hardware eq can be done following Linkwitz:
Reference earphones

if RockBox runs on your iPod the graphic EQ provides for quick, easy experimentation

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a decent portable amp for IEMs for sub $300. Some of the ones I'm looking at are the C&C box+, the minibox e+, and the RSA tomahawk. Will be using with SE530s and UE Triple.fis. I guess my main question is, if using with an iPod is the tomahawk worth the extra cash or should I just stick with a cheaper amp like the C&C since I do my high end listening on my MicroStack desktop setup?

IMHO, and I have a Toma available, I'd say the difference between the Touch's headphone out (using lossless files) and using the Toma is not sufficient to justify the expense. bluey_02 concluded this at this minimeet in January and I, the owner of the amps provided, agree with him. It's always up to you of course and if you can meet with a Toma/Minibox/C&C owner that's the best way to find out for you.

And I don't think the IEMs are so sensitive as jcx indicates - low gain makes it easier to adjust volume on them, that's all. BTW I've used UM2s and Livewires with a varirty of amps - generally 9 o'clock is max listening position for most amps I've tried with IEMs.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 13
The SMIV would be a great one, but I would have to say, the Petite is by far my favorite IEM amp...small size, awesome SQ, and 4 days straight battery life when playing at 75% volume...so at normal listening levels, that's quite a long time...

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 13
I have a Tomahawk but it's sitting on the shelf next to where I am typing. It is no longer part of my portable set-up; it has been replaced by a Headsix.

Don't get me wrong: the Tomahawk is an excellent amp. It is very neutral and precise. However, I find it just a tad too cold for my tastes. I lose some accuracy with the Headsix but I prefer its warm, musical sound. Others who want to hear every last detail will prefer the Tomahawk.

Take a look at the Headsix. It's only $165 if you remit with Paypal and part of the proceeds benefit Head-Fi. It's a great deal!

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 13
The Headsix is great value for the money, has good SQ and great battery life. It is also built like a tank. But you won't go wrong with a Tomahawk either. The Tomahawk is a great amp as well with excellent SQ and battery life as well.

cheers
Simon

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 13
There are a few things that are not a matter of opinion:

that the mentioned iems are at the top of the high sensitivity range for headphones, just read the numbers off the boxes - or search: google part#, "dB" "Ohm"

that to listen at SPL that wil not quickly destroy your hearing you will reqire serious attenuation from the 1 Vrms iPOD source

HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

that DAP digital electronic attenuation will be giving up signal-to-noise, with few DAPs reaching 16 bit dynamic range due to their DAC and electronic's noise - and digital attenuation isn't an option with true line outputs

any added amplifier's V gain is only going to have to be offest with input attenuation

even good quality Stereo Log Volume Pots have a hard time maintaing tracking at high attenuation - the best pots don't fit in small portable amps

The above facts suggest to me that offering opinions on Amplifiers for these iems isn't necessarily the best, or only route

attenuation is required, and can be accomplshed by a output "power" divder directly from the iPod's output as mentioned in the HissBuster thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/his...phones-198828/

reworking the divider impedance can extend low frequency response - one obvious objective improvement that otherwise might cause you to want to use a separate amplifier with iPods

at the very minimum a higher impedance input signal attenuator between an amp and source with these high sensitivity iems should be an automatic suggestion

with iems as sensitive as these attenuation must be the 1st topic of discussion - before amplifier fanboyism is allowed free reign

and thats my opinion,

others share the opinion that sensitive iem and popular commercial amplifiers with V gain are not the best pairing

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ran...e-days-298525/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back