Portable amp for Ety ER-6i...need more bass
May 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bjornboy81

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys and gals,

I bought the ER-6i's a couple of months ago and really like them, but I would like a little more bottom end. What amp do you suggest with a decent sounding bass boost? I'm shooting for no more than $150 here so I'm thinking the iBasso T2 (I really like the size too) or the HR Total Airhead (or Bithead). Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Paul
smily_headphones1.gif

PS I really don't need the DAC of the Bithead, but for another $50 it won't hurt for maybe future use, so other DAC/Amp combos are welcome.

May 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 16
i have tried both a bithead and ibasso P2 with the er6i and i just love the bass boost switch on the P2, really makes these headphones shine

May 21, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks guys. What about the iBasso T2? Same bass boost quality as the P2?

May 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Anyone have experience with the ER-6i's and the T2?

Sorry for being impatient...I need to get this ordered before I realize I don't have the money to feed this habit and talk myself out of it.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 16
I have had experience with the ER-6 (not "i") and the ER-4P with the iBasso T2's bass boost. It sounds okay, and doesn't clip like the iPod's built in bass boost EQ often does. It'll probably do the job nicely. On top of that, the T2 is one of the few truly portable headphone amps out there.

That said, I think your purposes would be much better served with new earphones. Between the cost of the T2 and what the ER-6is are worth, you could probably get some ER-4Ps, and they're magnificent.

May 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On top of that, the T2 is one of the few truly portable headphone amps out there.

That's exactly why I'm intrested in it...but I also am willing to give up some 'portability' for added SQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I think your purposes would be much better served with new earphones. Between the cost of the T2 and what the ER-6is are worth, you could probably get some ER-4Ps, and they're magnificent.

Well, I will also be using this amp with my Grado's at work, so I'm benefiting from the amp in more than one way. Thanks for the suggestion though...I am keeping those on my "buy when I have money to waste" list.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 16
BTW Dude, your avatar is kind of freakin' me out.

:p

May 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Spend the slightly extra dough and get this:

CIMG0093.JPG

That little dial adds all the bass you want, not just a switch to on/off it...

May 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 16
^Since when is price the sole determiner of quality?

Thanks for the suggestions Nate. I searched a bit and couldn't find info or where to buy one...any links?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 16
You can PM Uncle Wilson here, or go here:

Jaben Network

I think it just became available.

May 23, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also take a look at the headstage lyrix which is under your price range. The bass boost on it is nice and clean.

I have the Lyrix USB (DAC/amp) and i can tell you it IS a really clean bass boost. I was/am surprised everytime I click it on because there is simply no change in the other ranges of the sound spectrum. The mids and highs remain the same. I have tried it on the HD555 since the HD650 is just too bass heavy to add more from the amp.

I've had this little amp for a week now and im very happy with it. It made the HD555 sound so much better and lots of people say those are CANS that dont gain too much from amplification.

I bought them to be used with the HD650 and at this point i am considering selling the HD650 and sending back the lyrix is not something im planing (although i thought of it because i might need a better amp/dac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back