Portable Amp for ATH-M50's?
Sep 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fatalelement

New Head-Fier
I am looking for recommendations for a sub $100 portable headphone amp for my M50's. I listen mainly to house, techno, breakbeat, and hip-hop, as well as some classical now and then. I deeply enjoy my M50's but I think they would benefit greatly from an amp and I am looking for available options as I am not knowledgeable in the field of amps. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 9
I own the ATH-M50's and from what I've read an amp does not add much too the headphones. After all, they are 38 ohms impedance which makes them ridiculously easy to drive unamped. But, if you are set on getting an amp, the Fiio E5 is often recommended.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 9
CMoy BB 2.02, PA2V2.  If you are using a weak source I think you'll like the sound w/ an amp.  I prefer it amped myself and I use some DAPs w/ good power already.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks a lot for the input, the cmoy bb looks really impressive, not to mention classy in the altoid tin
smily_headphones1.gif

I appreciate the prompt feedback!

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm using ATH-M50 with the FiiO E7 and I'm really enjoying the Fiio so far.
I bought it through DealExtreme for 81$ and it's a real nice amp and the DAC is sweet as well.

but I must mention that you need to use it with an LOD cable if use an Ipod to enjoy it's full potential.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Thumbs up on the ATH-M50 w/ FiiO E7 & LOD! This is my setup and really enjoy it. The E7 is a great amp/dac for the price!

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 9
fatal yea those are all good choices...

this is good too

(not quite portable)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bravo-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-V3-EQ-Equalizer-valve-/260660392475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb091f21b&afsrc=1

go blue! (;

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm happy.  I finally pulled the trigger on the ATH-M50, and they're a perfect match for my HiSound Studio Mp3 player.  No amp needed, and fantastic bass output that these cans are so well known for.  As soon as I got them today, I went about shortening the cable.  I usually re-terminate at the jack, but with these I removed and cut the cable at the driver.  This seems to be the perfect method for the M50 because of the way they're designed where the cable meets the housing.  It's easy to guide the cable through the sleeve at the base of the headphones, and when I was finished it looked like they were manufactured that way...

I know this is a thread about portable amps, but the Hisound Studio for those who aren't familiar combines an amp and an mp3 player in a nice simple device.  The sound pairing of these two is excellent!  I was previously driving a pair of ESW9's with it, but the M50 is a much better match.  I listen to a lot of dub music, and lots of downtempo electronic music, and these headphones are beyond compare when driven properly..  Can't wait until they burn in, which after the few hours I've had them they've already started to open up.  I'm just very happy with them.  After reading so many positive reviews here, I'm surprised they actually met my high expectations!

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 9
good sound source plus E7 and M50 puts a big fat smile on my face all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back