portable amp for 650.
Jun 6, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
have you heard the PINT?
rolleyes.gif

Nope. Not yet -- but I'd welcome the opportunity. Always interested to hear something new. Just don't have the resources to run out and buy stuff.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #32 of 41
Jun 6, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
have you heard the PINT?
rolleyes.gif

I dislike the AD8397, at least for my HD650. It had a dry and rather unrefined, even slightly thin midrange. And no, it wasn't in a PINT if that could (?) make a difference.

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Heheheh. Blimey! I've never been proved so wrong and yet still felt so right before!!

Best to invest in a very large bag to go with that too.

On a more serious note, wouldn't carrying any tube amp around portably make damage to the tubes hugely risky? They're not supposed to be moved or wobbled while they're hot, at least that was my understanding of it.

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz
I think he means that a DAC can at its best mirror the digital signal in the analog signal, but can not make it better / enhance it. It can only decrease the sound quality (i.e. bad DAC which does not truly represent the digital signal in the analog signal).

The purpose of a DAC is to recreate, as accurately as possible, the ORIGINAL analog waveform that is represented in the data stored on a CD, MP3, etc. If you're talking about the fact that some DACs do this better than others that's correct, but you can't just make the sweeping statement that the DAC "degrades" or "decreases" the "sound quality" in a vacuum. If you're comparing what comes out of consumer-level digital audio to the original recording then that's a different story.

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

That certainly makes an Earmax Pro a very costly (and very fragile) transportable solution. Tube amps are a poor choice of traveling companions IMO. If it were me I'd definitely be looking at something solid state to be lugging around.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #37 of 41
Oh my god.

Sealed lead acids are portable now? holycrap.
I wouldn't even come close to saying thats a portable solution =p

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Heheheh. Blimey! I've never been proved so wrong and yet still felt so right before!!

Best to invest in a very large bag to go with that too.

On a more serious note, wouldn't carrying any tube amp around portably make damage to the tubes hugely risky? They're not supposed to be moved or wobbled while they're hot, at least that was my understanding of it.

No, you are not wrong entirely as you said in the second part. It depends how people understand the word portable. Tube amp is very sensitive to the vibration. I won't walk or run with headphone together with the amp and the battery pack even I could find a fantastic large bag. That was stupid. I don't konw what this thing is actually used for even it is called "BATTERY PACK". It reminds me the battery version of RA1, however, the RA1 is much more a good design, since the batteries are inside the amp makes the use of it very conveniently.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I dislike the AD8397, at least for my HD650. It had a dry and rather unrefined, even slightly thin midrange. And no, it wasn't in a PINT if that could (?) make a difference.

sigh, you have a nasty habit of making conclusions without hearing them. Here are the 3 things that make amps sound the way they sound:

1. Above all, topology. Even with 1000 in parts, a cmoy is a cmoy
2. Parts used. Use good parts and you can improve the sound
3. bling bling. Placebo rule - if it looks good, and costs alot, it sounds even better.

listen to the PINT first.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by redquilang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before i ask, i just want to say that i did use the search function and looked for "hd 650 portable amp" and the post either didnt fit what im looking for or it was so old that the hornet wasnt even taken into consideration yet.

so anyways, what portable amp has the best synergy with the hd 650? under $500. i heard the headroom micro line has good synergy, but whats the difference between the amp and DAC? (sorry for the noob question)

redquilang - Whatever came of this? Did you ever use this combo? Just wondering I am now getting ready to face this very same scenario. My setup will more than likely be:

20GB iPod->ALO Silver V2->Hornet "M"->HD 650 (I do not have a clear understanding of the DAC thing, yet, hence no DAC)

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I may be looking at an Equinox cable upgrade as well.

P.S. I listen to any and all types of music; no specific preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back