Portable Amp damage IEMs?
Sep 14, 2007 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ace8888

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to use iBasso T1 (portable amp) with my Shure SE530.
I'm just a beginner and I don't know if amp could damage IEMs?
Anybody any thought?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 7
A malfunctioning amp can damage any headphones. well, any more or less conventional headphones.

But if it's working properly, no. Unless you turn the volume up so high that your ears bleed, but that'd be your own fault.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Portable Amp will damage your wallet first, my fellow head-fier.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 7
just make sure you keep the power under control and keep the impedance under controll, the same amp that pushes a pair of 600ohm headphones at a good volume will probobly pop a pair of 32ohm IEM´s

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 7
If you have the $$$, you might want to buy the RSA Tomahawk. It is specifically designed for IEMs and won't hurt the drivers. I have the RSA Hornet and love it; it can be toggled for IEMs or full size headphones. (Yeah, Celebrate Diversity!) You can never have too many amps, right?
tongue.gif

Of course, you already have the iBasso amp; as it is a portable amp, I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that it is meant to be used with IEMs. Check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Holly

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 7
I'll be getting an iBasso T2 for a birthday present (24 today
etysmile.gif
) which will help my e500's until I can save up for a Tomahawk.

I'll be sure to have the volume low when I first start the T2
basshead.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 7
This is a good question. I have my Go-Vibe V6 and V5. When I have the volume turned up all the way or close to all the way, I hear distortion in the driver. These Denon AH-D5000 headphones are rated at 1,800mw. The Go-Vibes only put out about 100mw. What is distorting, my amps or my headphones? And is it dangerous to the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back