Portable amp/dac capable of powering the Hifiman Sundaras?
Mar 25, 2024 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gatecrasher

Head-Fier
Hey all,
So I love my Sundaras when I use them with my modi 2 stack. But, I want to start using them with my Steam deck when I travel, but the decks headphone jack has nowhere near the power requirements for the Sundaras, so I was considering a pocketable amp/dac that I could use with the decks USBc port to power the Sundaras. Can anyone recommend amp/dac capable of doing so? I was looking at the ifi go bar, but it's double my budget, it's perfect though.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 9
I switched from Dragonfly Cobalt to Cayin RU-6, and the Sundara became a lot better. Might be worth shortlisting RU-7 which apparently has even better amp output stage.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Hey all,
So I love my Sundaras when I use them with my modi 2 stack. But, I want to start using them with my Steam deck when I travel, but the decks headphone jack has nowhere near the power requirements for the Sundaras Home Additions Services Bellevue, so I was considering a pocketable amp/dac that I could use with the decks USBc port to power the Sundaras. Can anyone recommend amp/dac capable of doing so? I was looking at the ifi go bar, but it's double my budget, it's perfect though.

Thanks.
So, my desktop chain, is near perfect now.. Tidal MQA on Mac -> usb -> E50 -> L30 High Gain 2 o clock -> Sundara -> brilliant! thanks ASR!
I also have iphone Tidal app -> wiim optical -> topping E50 optical in -> Topping L30 pre out to-> Denon 250 BT AVR playing in direct mode to Dali Zensor 1 s and DIY subs -> Again pristine, but no MQA yet, which i hope to get soon with the next firmware upgrade. That said, these set ups are limited to bedroom, den , so now i want to carry my sundaras around the house, when i am working on my ipad pro.
So the chain would be something like Tidal app ipad pro-> usb dock -> something like ifi hip dac v2 (has to be MQA capable) -> Sundara any recommendations for the something like ifi hip dac v2 (has to be MQA capable) would be most excellent, considering the poor performance of the hip dac in the review on ASR, I would really like something like it , but is not as bad.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey all,
So I love my Sundaras when I use them with my modi 2 stack. But, I want to start using them with my Steam deck when I travel, but the decks headphone jack has nowhere near the power requirements for the Sundaras, so I was considering a pocketable amp/dac that I could use with the decks USBc port to power the Sundaras. Can anyone recommend amp/dac capable of doing so? I was looking at the ifi go bar, but it's double my budget, it's perfect though.

Thanks.

Qudelix T71

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 9
I switched from Dragonfly Cobalt to Cayin RU-6, and the Sundara became a lot better. Might be worth shortlisting RU-7 which apparently has even better amp output stage.
lets say it that way, with an ru6 the sundara goes from an overly bright headphone to a more correct tonalitywise one. your suggestion with the ru7 is excellent tho, as it has one of the highest power outputs on balanced in a dongle plus it is among the best sounding out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back