portable amp choices
May 3, 2002 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
I am about to upgrade to some grado sr325s. I want to buy a portable amp to go with it. Most of you have said to buy an amp.
I have searched the past posts and none of them seem to answer my predicament.
The problem is, I plan to use different types of headphones.
I understand that the JMT cha47 can be uh.."tweaked" to a particular headphone like the sr325s.
But what if I purchase a set of beyer dt831s or senn600s down the line? A closed headphone works better on the bus or noisy situations.
I understand the impedance is not the same, so would I get the same gains from that amp? I am leaning toward contacting JMT, but have not seen any posts of listening to his amp with different cans.
What I want is the best of the open and closed headphone systems. I know that is hard; but there must be some compromise.
Seeing as the JMT seems so user preferenced, should I just get a TAH 9v? If there is a link to this, I would appreciate it.
Portable seems to be the reference here.
help me see the light!
md

May 3, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Although I have never actually heard it, consider the portable PortaCorda from Jan Meier. Most reviewers comparing it to the Airhead have prefered the PortaCorda, and the "noise issue" present in the new TA's should cause one to consider alternatives.

May 3, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Congrats on your impending 325 acquisition! They are very nice cans, especially for rock.

As you can tell from perusing this site, there isn't ONE amp that will work amazingly well with every headphone. So, you have to decide what's most important to you.

If you want portability and great sound for your Grados, a JMT built CHA-47 can't be beat.

Question: do you plan on using your 325s for portable use (like outside in the real world??)? I'm asking because; a.) they're WAY nice headphones... would suck to have them walk away or get damaged, b.) are open design so that sound leaks in and out. I've not enjoyed the Grado experience on the few occasions I've used mine while wandering around out in the world...the bass is just gone, the highs seem more shrill. Not my idea of fun.

Many folks here have a portable setup and an at home setup to try to balance things as best as possible. Lotsa people recommend something like the Koss 35, 50, Porta or Sporta Pro or Senn 500 for true portable use. They're decent sounding (but no where near the 325 sound quality) but cheap and comfortable. If you happened to leave them on the bus, it wouldn't be a tragedy.

If you wanted to go totally gonzo on a very portable headphone, you could always go Ety. Great isolation means no one hears what you're hearing and you don't hear them. That isolation may also make life, ummm, a bit more interesting, depending on where you live (I wouldn't walk around Baltimore with Ety's in... you need ALL of your senses available in order to avoid getting nailed by a car. Drivers here don't have an appreciation for the meaning of red lights...). However, if you do any travelling by air, would totally recommend the Etys. Blocks out almost all engine, flight attendant, baby, etc. noise while providing excellent sound.

I have the ER4P and also have a JMT amp that was made for Grado 125. Because both the Grado and the Ety are low impedance cans, they both work very well with the JMT. Same would probably hold true for the Airhead amps, but I have not had a chance to try those.

Good luck!

Bruce

May 4, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the replies!
Okay, I guess there is no happy medium.
Bruce, I got sr60s now and plan to use them around town; until I can afford to buy a different set of cans!
I just wanted a portable amp that I could both as a portable and at home.
I thought buying the right set of headphones was bad. Sheesh!
Thanks again,
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back