Portable amp ~$100
Aug 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I really am clueless on how amps and portable amps work. But I do know that the headphones I would like to improve are the Etymotic ER-6i and UE Super.fi 3's. My source is an Apple iPod 30GB 5.5G. So pretty much I want an amp to improve bass and give the Ety's and the UE's a more "fuller" sound. Also, what about cables and stuff, like what cables do I need, and please list where I can buy these from. Also, I would not like to buy anything off of ebay, or any of the DIY amps, as I am completely clueless on electronics. I just know I like good sound, the only thing I guess I really need is an amp that improves bass? Sorry for being clueless to this.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 14
um, do i need to give more info or something? bump^

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 14
Why do you not want to buy a diy design? It doesn't have to be built by you. There are places to buy them prebuilt.

You can have a mini^3 built for you for a bit more than 100. It competes well with those commercial 350 dollar amps.

http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/ <---- sells a built one for 125 usd.

you would be hard pressed to find anything else better. at this price the only amps you can purchase are those mid-fi portables that are flooding the market. If I were you I would opt for this well designed diy amp.

Reviews have been positive and I personally believe absolutely no commercial amp even around 200 usd can best it.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 14
Yes, get a MisterX mini^3. Can't be beat at the sub 200 dollar level.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 14
I have a mSeed Spirit amp for sale, and afaik, it's pretty hard to get a new one currently (it's sold out on the manufacturer's website and on alo).
Look around the forums for reviews of it - it's one of the only amps Skylab didn't sell after reviewing in his portable amps roundup, and it got very good reviews here.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, get a MisterX mini^3. Can't be beat at the sub 200 dollar level.

X2 man it friggin owns.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is an Apple iPod 30GB 5.5G. So pretty much I want an amp to improve bass and give the Ety's and the UE's a more "fuller" sound.

iBasso T2 has that effect, and you will find it very attractively priced.

Don't worry about cables much, just make sure they are not ultra-cheap, and are comfortable.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 14
the iBasso is a good idea b/c the mini3 is neutral and simply performs true to the source. aka if the source is bassy the mini3 will be too.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 14
misterX burns his amps in most of the time prior to selling them. that's a big plus for me. he did mine. he can easily and quickly config it to suit the cans you are using it with and is a funny person to boot. I just like him b/c he's never let me down in any sense.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 14
if you're looking at the Il Basso, check out ALO's website. they're dealers and can hook up with a reasonable cable too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back