Portability! Back in My day We carried a small car!
Apr 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Frankie K

500+ Head-Fier
Yeah that's right, well not a small car but close enough. That was Our Portable! You guy's & gal's complain about it's to big, I want to be able to put it My wallet or purse, bag, backpack, what ever Your preference!  Back in the late 70's YEAH 70's into the early 80's when I was a teen We carried around BoomBoxe's, up to 30" wide and 26+ lb's. Cassette deck's AM/FM Radio, great sound's (NO DISCO, sorry) but a great time none the less! I know some of You remember these time's.  Check out this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomboxes go ahead check it out and tell Me what You think. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
boomboxes are hardly uncommon, they're not quite obsolete yet...

It depends on which neighborhoods you're hanging around in :p

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Or people with pelican cases stuffed with H1xx + DAC + Amp :).

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 12
I remember people breakdancing on cardboard pads next to their ghettoblasters.

When is the breakdancing revival coming? Seems overdue, doesn't it?

Back when mixtapes actually were mixtapes....

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, it was back in intermediate school where I remember few of my classmates had huge JVC and Pioneer boomboxes rocking to Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Tom Tom Club, Kurtis Blow etc. Back in the days when popping and breakdancing was taking off. I wasn't fortunate enough to have one of those boomboxes as my parents felt they were too expensive and I didn't need such a huge radio/cassette player. I remember a few models also had a vinyl record turntable along with the standard cassette player and graphic equalizer that lit up with funky lights.

Link to a boombox forum: http://www.stereo2go.com/forums

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Yeah Your right on that one, I heard it the turntable and for what they were they sure did sound real sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back