Porta Pro Alternative Housing/Headband and Ear Foam Suggestions Please
Sep 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

meizumintyboi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I recently bought some broken portapros off ebay for just £5, I've soldered tha cable back onto the drivers, and re-terminated with a neutrik mini. The left side of the headband which holds the left driver housing has snapped off.

Originally I was going to use them inside some cheap 30db ear muffs I bought for 50p, but they look awful, and the drivers are too far from my ears, so the overall sq has been greatly reduced.

What other headbands can I stick these into, all suggestions welcome including; on ear, around ear and closed/open back.

The drivers are completely undamaged, and the part where they clip into the headband is also undamaged.

The foam on the drivers is ripped, should I just buy some portapro replacement foams? or use different pads?

I don't want to spend more than lets say £15.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Sep 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 6
thank's for a swift reply, ok I'm thinking of buying these ear pads.

not too sure on headband as it looks a bit weak, and as I'm in the UK I would have to buy it from somewhere else, I have been asking sellers on ebay for different items if the drivers are detachable... so far 1 reply for this item and it was fixed, driver not detachable.

So far I've contacted the sellers of this item and this item, awaiting a reply..

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 6
ok after doing some research, the ksc75 has the same headband connector as the portapro, as you can install the ksc75 drivers into the portapro headband, and from one of the threads I found that 1 of the headphones I was looking should fit with my portapro drivers.

I managed to find them slightly cheaper on amazon too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000L1LYW6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1JJQP12L4S11L

coupled with these pads:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320743895322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

I may staple an old cotton belt onto the headband if the comfort isn't satisfying... pics to come once they arrive in the post.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 6
haha, that "orange earpad" one is the exact same headband that I showed you it looks like. And oooooooooh, leathers! I didn't know they were available for the 75s! Your going to love the headband though, its so light that comfort is hardly an issue and the clamp is great.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 6

My first attempt at a Y split headphone cable...

(please excuse the ghetto Y split, I only had some belkin ofc speaker wire, which is quite thick, initially I wanted to use a spare 6.0 OD neutrik barrel as a splitter, but the barrel wasn't large enough for the four wires, in addition to the solder contacts and electrical tape/heatshrink).

Terminated with a gold plated switchcraft 3.5mm plug that I salvaged from an old IC I rarely used.

I used a glue gun to increase the strength of the connection at the drivers, and used some £2 headphones headband, coupled with an old belt, stitched on for better comfort, definitely a lot more comfortable than the stock headband..

Pleather pads haven't arrived yet...

Pleather pads arrived today, and whoa! the Bass is now thumping, but still accurate... Sound leakage is about the same..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back