!!!! PORTA CORDA !!!! SALES-ACTION !!!!
Nov 7, 2001 at 8:05 AM Post #16 of 116
Dear Kurt,

"It would seem that the battery will last quite a while...any estimates for this?"

The amp takes 9 ~ 10 mA current. Most 9V batteries are specified between 500 and 700 mAh so theoretically they should last at least 48 hours. Note that the amp has quite some power supply buffer capacity so even a near end-of-life battery (high internal resistance) doesn't sound too bad.

"Can you comment on the sound quality compared to the big-daddy Corda? Same ICs, I would guess it might be pretty close which would be super. "

There are two major differences:

1. The big CORDA has a regulated +15V -15V powersupply.
A nice thing of the Porta CORDA is the possibility to feed it with an external regulated power supply though.

2. The output stages of the opamps of the Porta CORDA are not driven into class-A mode as this would increase current consumption considerably. The big CORDA is thereby better in the fine details / microdynamics.
However, as a kind of compensation the potentiometer of the Porta CORDA is placed inside the feedback loop of the output opamp and not at the input. Thus signal levels inside are kept at a high level until the very last stage, even when listening sound level is low. Thus distortion and noise are minimized.

"What is the crossfeed level compared to the Corda? "

It's the medium level.

(The CORDA has stereo - low - medium - high)

" skippy running 6171's off of a +/-4.5v supply. amazing! "

Not truly, these amps are specified for both +/- 5V and for +/- 15V operation. Testing showed that the amp still works very nicely down to +/- 3V

The major reason for using the LM6171 in this specific application is the relatively large output current it still is able to deliver at +/- 4.5V. Thus I didn't need a DC-DC converter (very bad for sound and battery life) to create a higher supply voltage.
I didn't like the Grado solution to put two batteries in series as this would double battery consumption and increase the size of the amp. The amp now is so small, that it easily fits into a pocket.

Hi roll-man,

" So am I correct in understanding that if you just want the amp (I already have a pair of 580's), then the price is $160? Is there any "sales action" for head-fiers (and loyal Senn owners) on just the amp? "

Yes, you're correct. There's only a sales action in combination with the HD580. This phone thus effectively costs you $115,-.
Not too expensive, is it?

Dear tktran;

"Hope you have a fine day today "

Thanks, but I'm afraid it merely will be a very bussy one :)

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 7, 2001 at 8:44 AM Post #17 of 116
Jan,

This Porta Corda looks like a winner, man!

Quick question: What is your opinion on the use of NiMH rechargeable 9-volt batteries with this amp?

P.S. Happy birthday, Jan!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 116
Jan,

Can you please give the dimensions of this amp? I can tell it is small (from the battery), but it would still be helpful to get some more exact measurements.
Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 1:46 PM Post #19 of 116
Happy Birthday Jan! Is it any coicidence that the long-awaited Porta Corda has arrived around the same time? Well, it's a great birthday gift for everyone. It looks great. Very cool styling for 2001 (Reminds me a little of the equipment you might find in my favourite Sci-fi film.) The specs look great. I can't wait to hear one.

Nov 7, 2001 at 3:26 PM Post #20 of 116
Happy birthday Jan!

For whatever reason, I cannot get the photos.
frown.gif
But from what everyone says, it sounds like a winner. You mention the price of the fully assembled PortaCorda by itself but didn't mention the price of the kit alone.
confused.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 116
Hey, I just noticed the little red glowing light on the front of the amp. Is that Hal's eye (Kidding)? But I'm really happy to see that. At least once a month I fry a set of AAs in my TA leaving the power switch on because there's not a lighted indicator. Sweet.
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:18 PM Post #22 of 116
ooh, nice Jan!

was hoping it would come out a bit cheaper than that, but I'm glad to see you got all sorts of high quality parts in it. that PCB is quite crammed! must be a damn tiny amp!

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 116
Dear Headfellows,

"but didn't mention the price of the kit alone."

Porta Corda DIY-KIT $135,-

"Is it any coicidence that the long-awaited Porta Corda has arrived around the same time?"

Yes, it is :=D

Never had such a bussy birthday before. Answering lots of e-mails with orders.

" Can you please give the dimensions of this amp?"

4.40 x 2.55 x 0.92 inches

11.18 x 6.48 x 2.34 cm.

"What is your opinion on the use of NiMH rechargeable 9-volt batteries with this amp?"

There should be principly no problems. The voltage of a NiMH battery might be a little bit lower but the amp works on a supply voltage ranging from 6 to 28 Volts. What kind of battery sounds best I can't tell, however. The amp is too new as that I have much of an experience yet.

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 8, 2001 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 116
Jan,

The new amp looks great
smily_headphones1.gif

Any idea on how well it will drive differnt headphone loads ?

EG. How well will it drive some DT770's (250) ?

Hmm $280AU approx for the porta corda. Maybe for XMAS
smily_headphones1.gif

It would sound great on my long flight to Germany ( a 3 week driving tour - first time in Germany ) and france.

hehehe

Great stuff Jan - and Happy Birthday
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2001 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 116
fbleagh, I've just ordered the Porta Corda, so if you want to bring your 770s around to hear it (and let me hear the 770s!) drop me an email.

Ross

Nov 9, 2001 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 116
Awesome. I'm torn between this and the JMT now, only because the Corda looks like it can be used for all phones, where as the JMT is designed for low impedance ones, and I have no intention to just stay with low impedance phones. Plus I never really liked the Altoids cases, and the switches looked like they could be flipped too easily in my pocket.

The only problem I can foresee, is that based on these pictures, the volume knob looks so small that it might be a little hard to use.

Peace.

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #29 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
JMT can design his amps to work with high impedance headphones as well.

I second that, he just made an amp for me that is tailored for the Etymotic ER-4S which is a high-impedance phone.

The portacorda is really nice but I'm afraid I'll go broke feeding it 9V's anyone tried any Ni-Mh 9V's that work well on the Porta Corda?
Whoops...does anyone have the porta corda yet?

Anyways, the porta corda still looks like a winner to me and its backed by the reputaion of Dr. Jan himself
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW I love your HA-1
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back