Porta Corda Distorting my 590's! Why?
Jul 27, 2002 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Geist

Head-Fier
When I listen to certain songs, there is a crackling coming from my 590's. When I put the phones directly into the source (EJ01) the distortion stops. Why would my Porta Corda amp cause distortion? I don't listen to my music loud at all.

Like I said, it's only certain songs, for example on Radiohead's 'Amnesiac' the song "You and Whose Army" (song 4) is practically unlistenable because of the distortion surrounding the vocals.

Jul 28, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 9
Time for a new battery.

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Hmm... I'd fire-off a note to Dr. Meier and see what he has to say. Are you sure the new battery was new?

Jul 29, 2002 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Geist...

...I had a similar problem with my Porta Corda: If connected to my Theta DAC, it became distorted. With the help from Jan Meier, the problem got solved: The DAC's output signal is very loud, so with only 9 V feeded, the Porta Corda couldn't handle it. Since I have the power supply adjusted to 24 V, all is working fine.

Radiohead's «Amnesiac» is recorded with a very high level, so the signal voltage may be too high for the 9 V battery voltage. Either yo use a power supply with 18-24 V or (for portable use) two 9 V batteries in series to achieve 18 V... that would surely fix your problem.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jul 30, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ

Radiohead's «Amnesiac» is recorded with a very high level, so the signal voltage may be too high for the 9 V battery voltage. Either yo use a power supply with 18-24 V or (for portable use) two 9 V batteries in series to achieve 18 V... that would surely fix your problem.

That totally makes sense. Thank you.

I was going to buy a 28 V DC, do you think that's too much or should I get a 24 V?

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 9
According to Jan and his instructions for use 28 V are the upper limit – and inoffensive to the Porta Corda.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back