Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Oct 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #421 of 431
I will try to be more precise:

I don't own a DVD-A player, only a SACD, and off course a DVD player that can do DTS and PCM. I guess that is where my confusion is coming from.

Which Tracks are you really listening to when you (for example) listen to Deadwing? On the back of the DVD it says the following:

DVD-A 5.1 Surround, 48/24 (DVD-A)
DTS 5.1 Surround, 48/24 (DVD-A, DVD-V, DVD-ROM)
PCM 2.0 Stereo, 48/24 (DVD-A, DVD-V, DVD-ROM)

The only track that is DVD-A only is the 5.1 DVD-A track. So does a DVD-A player convert that signal into a 2 channel track? Or are you listening to the PCM 2.0 Stereo Track?

Now, if you would listen to the PCM track and have the Limited Edition of The Incident, you already own the 2.0 Stereo Track 48/24 (which is not much better that the 44/16 version). All that The Incident DVD is missing is the multi-channel 5.1 DVD-A track.

So what I am trying to say is that if you are actually listening to the PCM track, it will not get better when you buy the DVD-A in a 2-Channel setup.

And that leads into my next question:

Does DVD-A 5.1 sound any different from DTS 5.1?

Oh - it even gets more confusing, the PCM of In Absentia is only 48/16.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #422 of 431
Quote:

Does DVD-A 5.1 sound any different from DTS 5.1?

Yes, but you'll need a good HT setup to tell. I personally think DTS 5.1 is good enough for my low-mid fi setup.

As for your other questions. A lot of DVD-A's come with a stereo DVD-A track at high resolution. It so happens that PT releases tend to favour putting a DTS tracks to get more mileage since there arent really that many ppl who have a DVD-A capable system.

The DVD-A for Incident will have a high res DVD-A layer for the album in surround, thats my guess at least. I doubt if it will have a stereo DVD-A layer in it.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #424 of 431
Finally found some time to tinker a bit with that DVD. I am really happy I did. As mentioned before it seemed to me that there was far more resolution when listening to the DTS mix in our HT. But... I want to listen to it with headphones. The difference is striking:

I ripped the DVD to HD:

Used EAC3TO to do the following:

1) Extract a version of the included PCM to wav 24/48 (bit-true).

2) Downmix DTS from 24/48/1510 kbps to 2 Channel 24/48 (wav)

3) Extract DTS (no conversion only decoded with ArcSoft) to 6-Channel wav file using Foobar 2000 doing the built in on the fly down conversion while listening.

Been comparing 1), 2), 3), and the CD for a while.

The result: 3) sounds awesome! 3>1>2>CD. It's still not a perfect recording but MUCH better.

And thanks fro the DVD-A clarification - just wanted to be sure I am not missing out on something!

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #425 of 431
Thanks for that info, Resonator. I'm gonna have a play around with that stuff soon.

So I saw PT at the Colston Hall in Bristol last night & they put on a great show. I was concerned that the whole of the Incident might drag a bit, but actually it sounded excellent live. They closed with The Sound of Muzak and, of course, Trains, both of which sounded fantastic.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #426 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Resonator /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Been comparing 1), 2), 3), and the CD for a while.

The result: 3) sounds awesome! 3>1>2>CD. It's still not a perfect recording but MUCH better.

that's amazing, considering the DTS track has actually undergone lossy compression (like MP3)

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #427 of 431
Alright, I decided to answer my own question. I'm listening to the vinyl version and it sounds great to me. I don't hear any recording or mastering issues on it. It's the limited version.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #428 of 431
Spoke to one of my close friends with a $80k speaker setup, he said the vinyl sounds much, much better than the CD. Ordered... we'll see how much better it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #429 of 431
PT threw a great gig here at Helsinki on Wednesday. First part was the first CD of The Incident. Couple of great tracks there. Time Flies and I Drive the Hearse were the best ones. On second half they played their classics, though there were few tracks from FOaBP and one from Nil Recurring. So not anything that old. First part of Russia on Ice was also played. Anyways they ended the concert with two tracks from In Absentia. Sound of Muzak and last but not least, Trains. Gotta say that Trains made it for me. Absolutely awesome gig. Sound quality was ok, considering that they played in ice hockey arena. Good job by sound editor.

Someone managed to film some songs from the gig though it was strictly prohibited. Here you go:

YouTube - PTHelsinki's Channel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back