Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Oct 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #406 of 431
Anybody here heard the vinyl version yet? What's the verdict on that?

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #407 of 431
After I've listened through this album about ten times, I still think that it's one of the weaker Porcupine Tree albums. Though when talking about this band, weaker pretty much means "very good" instead of "perfect".
smily_headphones1.gif

They have gone too much to the pop side. Maybe they want to get more listeners but I think that the music starts to get too easy. Also there's not so many strong melodies on The Incident than there is for example on FOABP and Deadwing. I still think that the last tracks on both CDs and Time Flies are the best tracks on this album. Strongest melodies and familiar PT sound on these.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #408 of 431
Excitement overload here. I'm seeing Dream Theater and Opeth in Manchester on Friday, and Porcupine Tree in Bristol on Saturday. Have to agree that The Incident isn't one of their strongest albums, and I kinda wish they were playing more tracks from their back catalogue, but it's my first time seeing them live so still looking forward to it.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #411 of 431
OK, so I didn't want to say anything at first, but I disagree with you guys that "The Incident" on CD sounds bad. It is absolutely the LEAST compressed PT release in a while. This was checked by one of my audio-buddies on another board. There is better dynamic range on display here, and the sound is more natural and not hyped. I don;t find it muddy or mushy - it sounds quite a bit like actual music
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #413 of 431
I have to agree and disagree with Skylab to an extent. I agree that its the least compressed major release PT album in a while.

But I have to argue that "Recordings" and the original release of Lightbulb sun are better (not the remaster which is again compressed a bit) and that they couldve definitely done better with the new one. In Absentia is loud as hell, and Deadwing never sounded great to me except in parts. FOABP was good, but was a bit soft sounding, and slightly closed, narrow sounding.

I still have to say Disc 2 sounds better than Disc 1, after hearing the album several times over, I am confident with that statement.

Here are my issues with the new album sound quality wise. Its just that the sound is a bit dull, I would like extension on both ends, bass drum has no punch, no feel, no presence, its just a tapping sound instead of a thud. I cannot clearly make out what the bass guitar is doing as well, which used to be pretty easy to do on their other outings.

Also with so many intricate ride and cymbal parts, I expected a little more extension and detail in those areas. The guitar solos are too loud, they completely eat away into the melody and backdrop, best example being time flies, where the background gives such an important dark setup, but the guitar solo is wailing way too loud and you end up hearing only the solo guitar and not the song as a whole. Best song on disc 1 from a sound perspective is easily the last song.

As for sentiments regarding the album as such, x2 on what Patu said.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #414 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my issues with the new album sound quality wise. Its just that the sound is a bit dull, I would like extension on both ends, bass drum has no punch, no feel, no presence, its just a tapping sound instead of a thud. I cannot clearly make out what the bass guitar is doing as well, which used to be pretty easy to do on their other outings.

Bingo. That's what I am talking about.

Skylab,
What detail are you hearing in this recording?

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #415 of 431
That's just the thing - I wasn;t listening for details - I was listening to music, and I wasn;t annoyed, as I often am by over-compressed recordings. I will go back and listen tonight to see if I think it lacks extension.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #416 of 431
Yep. Thanks for putting it into professional words. Exactly my complaints.
As stated before: The issue is that it is Porcupine Tree. It still sounds better than most - but since SW is always talking about quality - he should do better.

Gee - even remastered old Genesis albums have more tranpsarency.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #418 of 431
A question: Ipodpj - what do you expect from the DVD-A that will be released in the future in addition to the DVD that's in the Limited Edition Box? Granted, the LE DVD does not contain a DVD-A track but it holds DTS and 'High-resolution' PCM Stereo tracks. I bet that the DVD-A will be a 5.1 version as well and hence there will be nothing more for the headphone guys. (?)

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #419 of 431
Kind of disappointment here,
not from the album, which is good, but I was expecting smth like Dark Side, maybe from reading this thread,
but, I know its 21st century, theres no more music,

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #420 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Resonator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question: Ipodpj - what do you expect from the DVD-A that will be released in the future in addition to the DVD that's in the Limited Edition Box? Granted, the LE DVD does not contain a DVD-A track but it holds DTS and 'High-resolution' PCM Stereo tracks. I bet that the DVD-A will be a 5.1 version as well and hence there will be nothing more for the headphone guys. (?)

Since I'm not using a 5.1 system, I can't say how good that is on the DVD.

For 2 channel, all of the DVD-As he has released sound better than the CDs, if even just a little. Whether it's because of better mastering or the fact that it's 24 bit/48kHz sample rate I cannot say. However, I can say that because it is 24/48, more musical information can be encoded in the audio file. But I have also listened to plenty of standard 16/44.1 CDs that sound better than many of the Porcupine Tree DVD-As.

I just hope that SW pulls his head out of his sold-out ass long enough to produce a good DVD-A of The Incident, because I did like most of the music on the disc. I never pay attention to the lyrics in his songs anymore. I stopped doing that after In Absentia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back