Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Sep 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #378 of 431
Great, I will see them tomorrow night in Montreal
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #380 of 431
The show was AMAZING last night in Montreal !

The highlights of the night were Time Flies, Russia On Ice (with the LCD Guitar) and Anesthetize.

Here's the setlist :

The Incident

Start of something beautiful
Russia on Ice
Anesthetize (short version)
Remember me lover
Strip the soul/.3
Normal
Mother and child divided

Sound of MuzaK
Trains

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #382 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The highlights of the night were Time Flies, Russia On Ice (with the LCD Guitar) and Anesthetize.

Here's the setlist :

The Incident

Russia on Ice
Remember me lover
Strip the soul/.3
Normal
Mother and child divided

Sound of MuzaK
Trains

First post on head-fi...seems fitting to do it on a porcupine tree thread
bigsmile_face.gif

Same setlist they did at Terminal 5 NY. I really enjoyed the show, but have to say I don't like The Incident as much as most of their previous albums... I was almost hoping for more FoaBP. Still an excellent show, as usual!

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #383 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's the setlist :

The Incident

Russia on Ice
Remember me lover
Strip the soul/.3
Normal
Mother and child divided

Sound of MuzaK
Trains

I notice the this OP did not mention the opening act. I would guess that PT was so overwhelming that the opening act was all but forgotten. I was up in the balcony watching the crowd, and boy did they ever like the show. After all some say that Montreal is the Prog-rock captial of North America. My son was saying that this ranks as one of his top 3 bands live. I must say it is definitely in my top 10, after all I have seen BUddy Rich driving Oscar Peterson in a jam concert. Seeing this band live is well worth the time and money.

B
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #384 of 431
It was absolutely stunning in montreal last night... And hell yes, Time Flies, the snow felt like 15 minutes to me...!!!

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #385 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No no.... the last albums (CDs) were excellent in sound quality compared to this version of CD and DVD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... As for SQ, I dont think its that bad. Its not great, its a little flat sounding, the treble extension is slightly lacking, bass is a tad muddy. But its not as loud as In Absentia and has a similar feel to Recordings, but not recorded as well as "Recordings".

I have the standard audio CD (Australian) and find it sounds a little dull and lacking in resolution and "sparkle" compared to previous CD's (It's like it's been mastered off an old n'th generation analog tape copy). It means I end up listening to it more as a homogenous "whole" rather than hearing the details of all the separate pieces stitched together.
Maybe it's meant for loud speaker listening, not headphones - I don't know if I'll be allowed to try that out...

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #386 of 431
Yup - big difference listening to this album on the main rig vs headphones. It comes to life in open air, like the live show.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #387 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably the best review of The Incident, ever
wink.gif

That guy is way off:

"The production of this album is their best to date, with each instrument having a clear portion of the frequency spectrum, a dynamic mix without the typical "Loudness" squash"

But I wouldn't expect him to be able to hear the lack of fidelity with the gear he mentioned.

"You might like it or you might not, but that is irrelevant."

Oh really? I guess the whole point of bands who sell albums is not to sell any. What is relevant then, Mr. Critic? The temperature in Pango Pango?

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #388 of 431
Quote:

Oh really? I guess the whole point of bands who sell albums is not to sell any. What is relevant then, Mr. Critic? The temperature in Pango Pango?

You can hardly accuse Porcupine Tree of being commercial-first when it comes to their music.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #389 of 431
Quote:

What is relevant then, Mr. Critic? The temperature in Pango Pango?

If you're referring to the capital of American Samoa, it's pronounced that way but spelled Pago Pago. Not sure why though. BTW, it's usually hot and humid.
atsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #390 of 431
Whoa! I just came here to figure out whether it was my rig(s). I am not going to comment on the content - might grow on me, might not. I will decide in a few weeks/months whether I really like this album.

But... as IPODPJ and a few others have stated: The sound quality SUCKS. I agree with that. Especially the drums. There is simply no resolution in them. Gavin is one of my favourite drummers. How can he live with this? Brings back memories when Peter Gabriel distorted Manu Katche on US. Only difference - this does not seem like distortion on purpose - its bad mastering/recording.
Bass... is there a bass? Did they screw up the mastering? I mean In Absentia and Deadwing were not perfect, they had a nice dynamic & clarity though. Remember: This is coming from SW who bashes mp3 on every occasion he can find. To me this sounds like a 128bit mp3 (or worse). Period. I am disappointed. I don't get it.

(I got the Limited Edition and have to agree to IPODPJ review: The DVD is not much better - if better at all.)

I dunno. It is possible to do a better job in 44.1/16 - and we know it. Had to dig out a few old Sheffield Lab recordings to figure out that it was not my rig/mood.

Ok - any comments on the vinyl quality? I am a huge PT fan and might even go out and buy a record player to listen to this in a acceptable quality.

Sorry for the rant - had to blow off some steam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back