Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun Release
Mar 7, 2008 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

eric5469

100+ Head-Fier
Porcupine Tree is finally rereleasing Lightbulb Sun in April. It will be a 2 cd set. One with stereo and the other with DVD-A. If you haven't heard We Lost the Skyline yet, give it a spin. It's pretty good. Sound quality is excellent; as usual.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 16
Great news!
Porcupine Tree grow on me each time I listen to them.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 16
Ah Finally!!! My favourite PT album in Hi Res. Alls well in the world.

Oh and new Opeth albums coming out as well...

Oh I am I am gonna watch them tear it up in Oakland...

Yes...all is well indeed.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porcupine Tree is finally rereleasing Lightbulb Sun in April. It will be a 2 cd set. One with stereo and the other with DVD-A. If you haven't heard We Lost the Skyline yet, give it a spin. It's pretty good. Sound quality is excellent; as usual.

Yes! I was waiting for this.
Thanks for heads up.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any one heard We Lost the Skyline yet?

We Lost the Skyline is a great cd. Sound quality is awesome. There is not a bad song out of the eight. Lazarus alone is worth the price of the cd. First four songs are Steven by himself. Last four are with John Wesley. Buy it off amazon for about $9 shipped.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 16
This is somewhat off topic, but your comment that the sound quality was "excellent, as usual" made me think of this.

Porcupine tree is by far my favorite band, but I've been getting some faint static on some of their songs from In Absentia and Deadwing. It's pretty bad on "Shallow", for example - during the heavy guitar riffs. My gear is in my sig, and I use apple lossless mp3s (I'm at college and I left the actual CD at home - I don't have a decent CD player anyway). Does anyone else get this static, or is it something in my setup?

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We Lost the Skyline is a great cd. Sound quality is awesome. There is not a bad song out of the eight. Lazarus alone is worth the price of the cd. First four songs are Steven by himself. Last four are with John Wesley. Buy it off amazon for about $9 shipped.

Is this the same version as the one being sold from burningshed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trb36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is somewhat off topic, but your comment that the sound quality was "excellent, as usual" made me think of this.

Porcupine tree is by far my favorite band, but I've been getting some faint static on some of their songs from In Absentia and Deadwing. It's pretty bad on "Shallow", for example - during the heavy guitar riffs. My gear is in my sig, and I use apple lossless mp3s (I'm at college and I left the actual CD at home - I don't have a decent CD player anyway). Does anyone else get this static, or is it something in my setup?

I also hear some distortion, especially on Deadwing, Shallow & Halo from the Deadwing album.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trb36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My guess is that is distortion from compression, because as you say, it is during the louder guitar riffs. I have all of the DVD-As from PT, and there is no distortion from compression on any of the MLP tracks that I can hear. I do not have 5.1, so I downmix the 5.1 MLP to stereo, and I hear no distortion regardless. My guess is the CD stereo mix is hotter and more compressed.

I skip all of the CD stereo mixes and go straight for MLP, and they sound fantastic.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the same version as the one being sold from burningshed?

There should only be one version and amazon is out of stock. Either get a copy at burning shed, or here (cheaper than burning shed because store is located on the US):

==== PARK AVE CDs: Orlando's Finest Indie CD Shop!

We lost the skyline was recorded in that store so they are having an exclusive sale.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that my gear's not the problem, but it's unfortunate that there's distortion on the CD compression. Oh well.

And about "Lighbulb Sun" - people who are used to the Gavin Harrison PT (In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear of a Blank Planet) might be in for a surprise, but I still find myself listening to these older recordings just as much as the newer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back