Porcupine Tree "Anesthetize" DVD/Blu-Ray
Apr 9, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #31 of 63
See now thats a discussion, thats what its about, just posting one liners is only gonna cause more problems than solve anything. One thing though, there are millions of other albums I'd rate below The Incident. Think you might have misunderstood that in parts. The Incident is weak by "PT Standards" not by music standards of today, its still better than a lot of crap thats out today for the most part atleast. I'm still a fan and always will be and will never miss a PT show for anything cos they are still phenomenal live. My opinion is based on the bands history and how they evolved and what they have become. They are still my favourite band though and I havent lost hope just yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #33 of 63
I can understand your point of view. One thing I've noticed about The Incident, even in the PT forum, is that people seem to either love it or think it's their weakest work. Fascinating. I'm glad I fall into the first category. But I could end up to be in the latter category with their next album, who knows? Can't wait to hear what they come up with next.

So back on the thread topic. Screw the special edition, I'll take the regular dvd thank you.
tongue_smile.gif
(joke)

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 63
Well, probably jilgiljongiljing is a bigger fan of them than I am, so he`s expecting too much..
Probably SW became **** after becoming famous, I don`t know, I just like their music, I mean the current music,
I dont think their lyrics were that strong and important at any time,
and probably he didn`t spend too much time with the last album, considering his solo work, and other projects, but
The Incident to me is a strong album, It just lacks smth,
It`s not a problem in the way it sounds, probably SW wanted this way or like you say he didn`t listen at all to the finished thing,
I hope for a different orchestration, perhaps classical mood, even without or different vocals, IMO his voice is boring throughout the album..

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #35 of 63
@jilgiljongiljing: I'm totally with you, what you wrote could be a statement from me.

@IPodPJ: it seems like you didn't read my whole post, because apparently you misunderstood me. I know that there are DVD-A editions of "Fear of a Blank Planet" and "The Incident", but I meant that I would be disappointed if they'd release something like this AGAIN - say, in the next "high resolution" vehicle (e.g. blu-ray). That also explains why I dislike their DVD-A releases. I reckon that they don't provide the full capacity of DVD-A to enable them to release it again sometime, in "better resolution". By the way, what did you mean with "filtering processes"? It's all PCM, so you can always apply the same filters for both CD-DA and DVD-A (during mastering).

I'm kind of baffled when it comes to DVD-A and the like. Part of me likes the idea that there was probably more care behind the whole release (like roadtonowhere08 wrote), and also I KIND OF like the idea that there is more information on a physical level, but experience has shown me that CD-DA is enough. Actually, some of the best sounding albums I've ever heard were "only" on CD.

In this thread I read that some think their latest albums are their least commercial records. Does the name Roadrunner Records ring a bell? If not, how about Nickelback, Korn, Slipknot, Billy Talent, ...? I don't want to badmouth Porcupine Tree, also I don't want to insult any of you guys. It's just that I'm really starting to dislike some of Porcupine Tree's ways. Well, I still like a lot of their music, and this won't change any time soon.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by non-entity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, what did you mean with "filtering processes"? It's all PCM, so you can always apply the same filters for both CD-DA and DVD-A (during mastering).

I'm not talking about the mastering. You can read up on how DACs work and why high-res audio is better. The nyquist theorem shows that CD contains all the information you can hear. The extended frequency range that high-res audio can support is pointless to the human ear. But why hi-res audio is better has do with the filtering processes in the DAC.

Quote:

I'm kind of baffled when it comes to DVD-A and the like. Part of me likes the idea that there was probably more care behind the whole release (like roadtonowhere08 wrote), and also I KIND OF like the idea that there is more information on a physical level, but experience has shown me that CD-DA is enough. Actually, some of the best sounding albums I've ever heard were "only" on CD.

Quite true. A well mastered CD will blow away a poorly mastered DVD-A.

Quote:

In this thread I read that some think their latest albums are their least commercial records. Does the name Roadrunner Records ring a bell? If not, how about Nickelback, Korn, Slipknot, Billy Talent, ...? I don't want to badmouth Porcupine Tree, also I don't want to insult any of you guys. It's just that I'm really starting to dislike some of Porcupine Tree's ways. Well, I still like a lot of their music, and this won't change any time soon.

When they first got signed to the big boys, Atlantic/Lava with In Absentia, it seemed very promising. I felt the sound quality on IA and Deadwing were very good (not the very best though), certainly worlds better than what we've got on The Incident from Roadrunner. It's a shame really.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I do have perspective. For instance, the ipod smashing. SW himself has explained this. It's not that he is anti mp3 or ipod. It's a metaphor. It's the fact that the ipod generation has little or no appreciation for the whole album anymore, the download one song and be done with it attitude. A lot of time and hard work goes into the making of an album. That's what the ipod smashing is about. One of the youtube videos was from here in Portland before a gig I attended and we didn't see anything into it other than what he has explained.

Sounds like a bit of damage control. Either that or he has a really amateurish way of expressing his condemnation of the current state of music creation and marketing. I agree with his sentiments, but I view smashing iPods the same as I do burning people in effigy: it makes you look like a moron. A really big moron.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a bit of damage control. Either that or he has a really amateurish way of expressing his condemnation of the current state of music creation and marketing. I agree with his sentiments, but I view smashing iPods the same as I do burning people in effigy: it makes you look like a moron. A really big moron.

Exactly my opinion. I couldn't have said it better.

It's funny how he condemns the one-song download generation, and I agree with that only in regard to low bitrate -- but the SQ of his latest album is nothing to be proud of at all, and the fact that he goes to the far opposite of the one-song download by making a mega-kit full of garbage photography and milking the fanbase for all he can. You know how many people are tired of viewing the same old Lasse Hoile style, mutilated dolls and depressing images? It's time you become a POSITIVE influence, Steve. Stop showing the world how depressed you are because you've been dumped by many women in your life (and that is the truth, he talked about it en masse a long time ago, and almost with every album he wrote up to Deadwing).

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not talking about the mastering. You can read up on how DACs work and why high-res audio is better. The nyquist theorem shows that CD contains all the information you can hear. The extended frequency range that high-res audio can support is pointless to the human ear. But why hi-res audio is better has do with the filtering processes in the DAC.

Quite true. A well mastered CD will blow away a poorly mastered DVD-A

Sorry, my mistake. I think I have a little idea how a DAC works, but imho higher sampling rate and bit depth don't necessarily mean that higher sound quality is achieved (like you already wrote: well mastered CD vs poorly DVD-A). In theory it's nothing but a fact, but even if there's way more "grip" (higher sampling rate and bit depth) to reconstruct the signal, our ears just aren't good enough. Frankly, I never really tried (ABX) it, but I assume that I couldn't tell a difference between a red book file and a 96k/24bit file with both coming from the same 192/24 master. Well, honestly, I'm not even in that league. I'm a poor student with nothing but AKG studio headphones, a CMOY and a Panasonic player with PCM1780 DAC in it.
tongue.gif

By the way, to those who are interested in mastering: you should check out this. I don't want to diss this guy (BIG name, on a stage with Bob Ludwig!), this is by no means a personal attack, but hell, what was he thinking? They prefer the original harddisk because the SPACING might be different? I have no scientific background, but does a high resolution jpeg picture which came from your camera look different because your harddisk is so fragmented that it had to be saved in a handful of splinters on your disk? Ever heard of buffer? And jitter on a harddisk? Optical media, yeah, but harddisk? Well... I actually heard from a handful of guys who said things like this. Do they just know more than me or are they plain wrong? I wonder if he could tell me what CRC means.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #41 of 63
as a new fan of porcupine tree (only 1 week) the first album i listened to was the incident and i loved it so i went to the record store and bought 4 of there cd's the incident, foabp, in absentia, light bulb sun. i liked every one but i agree that the incident has the weakest lyrics and is more focused on the guitars and keyboards, but it's still is a must have album for me. i also agree it may sound slightly worse then the other albums but still sounds better then 90% of the music i listen to.

I'm very interested in them because i have only known them for 1 week and I'm already about to buy tickets for there show next week in buffalo. i don't know how it will be to see them as a new fan but I'm sure ill love them

it seems they do have a lot of different releases of the same albums making it very confusing for fans (especially new fans) and also expensive options like limited editions. but since the concert tickets are only $20 a piece i am happy

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ cal8949

$20 to see PT live is a steal. They are one of the most amazing live bands I've ever seen.

Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

i know it is, it's also at one of my favorite small venues

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 63
My grey edition arrived today. I gave a quick watch of the bluray disc. I was impressed, but I'll reserve final judgement until I spend more time with it, Thought I'd try the DVD version for the 2nd go round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back