Popular music of Turkey, the Caucasus & Central Asia
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #35 of 342
Some more recent up-tempo tracks that are pretty ok imo. This was originally by Yildiz Tilbe, a major figure in the last wave of Turkish pop, who is still very active in the genre. This is an ear-slammer.

Merve Ozbey - "Vuracak"

Adult-oriented content.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 342
Gokhan Keser. Kind of a newbie (like Merve). Too much loudness compression! (I wish people would stop that.) But I like the tune... and we need the dudes for some balance.

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #37 of 342
Simge. Also sort of a newbie. But a good one, who's already put out a number of pretty good tracks.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 342
I still have ALOT of other Turkish music to post, as well as some newer Mongolian, Azerbaijani, and maybe one or two Armenian artists.

I'm gonna switch gears a little though to show some love to the UZ ladies & dudes (well, a couple dudes anyway). I've been listening to this genre for several years now, since stumbling across some Shahzoda videos. And have found that I like some of it quite alot.

UZ pop is similar to alot of other folk-inspired pop in the region. But it has it's own unique vibe that reminds me a little of some Latin music, esp. cumbia.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #42 of 342
Afsona was, I think, one the first pop singers in the genre to really make a strong impression in recent years. So we may as well begin with a couple of her vids.

These go back a few years. Hence the somewhat poor image quality. Afsona is still making music though. And still gorgeous as well. And will hopefully do more new videos soon.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #43 of 342

The percussion on up-tempo tracks like this is played primarily on a hand-held frame drum called a "doyra", which looks a bit like a large tambourine. The doyra is one of the most popular instruments in Uzbek music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back