Popular music of Turkey, the Caucasus & Central Asia
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #228 of 342
Hi. I'm glad you're enjoying it but Popular music (including Rap, Trap, R&B and whatnot) is the weakest point of Turkish music today. Not necessarily because I want to crap on Popular music; which I listen to when it's done good but it's the least creative aspect of Anatolian/Anatolian Turkish culture. There's nothing "Turkish" about it let's just say. It's the carbon copy of Western style tuning with the hint of Arabesque here and there. Even that is a reach these days. I'm using the word "weak" because there's infinite oppoturnities for creative wonders with the culture around here but they're throwing all that away to play safe. Here's an example of what could be done with the right materials. She's my favorite for a while now:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Have a nice day!

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #229 of 342
Thank you for the above post, igcp.

Fwiw, I enjoy both the mainstream and also some of the more alternative side of Turkish music. So if you have more ideas along either of those lines that you want to share, I'd be curious to hear some more of them. The quality of the recordings and audio production also plays a fairly important role in alot of what I post here. But I do enjoy alot the mainstream artists regardless of that (even if the music is a bit "dumbed down" to appeal to a wider audience :) ).

Don't think I've run across any of Gaye Su Akyol's work before btw. So I'm glad you've introduced me to her.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #230 of 342
Thank you for the above post, igcp.

Fwiw, I enjoy both the mainstream and also some of the more alternative side of Turkish music. So if you have more ideas along either of those lines that you want to share, I'd be curious to hear some more of them. The quality of the recordings and audio production also plays a fairly important role in alot of what I post here. But I do enjoy alot the mainstream artists regardless of that (even if the music is a bit "dumbed down" to appeal to a wider audience :) ).

Don't think I've run across any of Gaye Su Akyol's work before btw. So I'm glad you've introduced me to her.

I don't think Pop is dumbed down really. That's why I said "when it's done good", because there's Madonna, Lady Gaga, Melanie Safka (throw some Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus in there too while we're at it), which I listen religiously. What's dumbed down is taking that tuning and style and copying it million times to appeal to a wider audience. So it's not just in Turkish Popular music; it's a global behavior. I can't get mad at people for that. I just wish there was an equal opportunities for both mainstream and alternative sounds.

I don't know if it's shared before but here's another brilliance (which is a little old by now):

And another one:

I'll try and share here when I listen to them. If older songs isn't interest of this thread, just say so and I'll share more recent ones :beerchug:

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #231 of 342
I don't think Pop is dumbed down really. That's why I said "when it's done good", because there's Madonna, Lady Gaga, Melanie Safka (throw some Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus in there too while we're at it), which I listen religiously. What's dumbed down is taking that tuning and style and copying it million times to appeal to a wider audience. So it's not just in Turkish Popular music; it's a global behavior. I can't get mad at people for that. I just wish there was an equal opportunities for both mainstream and alternative sounds.

I don't know if it's shared before but here's another brilliance (which is a little old by now):

And another one:

I'll try and share here when I listen to them. If older songs isn't interest of this thread, just say so and I'll share more recent ones :beerchug:

I like both of these. Especially the track by Nil.

New or old is fine too. Whatever you feel like posting. I'd actually like to hear some more good older tunes. But there is so much newer stuff to sift through, that I never seem to get around to it.

And I know what you mean re the "sameness" of alot of the mainstream stuff. And also try to avoid as much of it as I can. Occasionally I will like something in that sort of generic "moombahton" pop style though, and will post it. (Maybe more than occasionally, depending on how broad your definition is. :) ) But I try to include a fairly good mix of different styles both here and elsewhere, so it doesn't all feel or sound exactly the same.

I actually prefer things with a little more local flavor though.

Also, do not worry about re-posting stuff that's already been posted here. Others may care about that. But it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #238 of 342
A couple recent disco tracks by Zeynep Bastik. Some of these get a little bright. So watch yer vols. I like that she's branching out a bit, and experimenting with some different styles though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back