Popular music of Turkey, the Caucasus & Central Asia
Jul 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 342
One thing I should perhaps mention is that Turkish pop is not necessarily as "popular" in Turkey as you might think.

I went through the top 200 "hottest" MVs in Turkey yesterday (according to YT), and there was almost no Turk-pop on the list. About half of the tracks (or more) were trap, rap and hip-hop, by both Turkish and also foreign artists from Europe, the US and the Mideast. The other half were mostly pop (from Europe, Korea, the US, Latin America, India and the Mideast), folk, and some devotional music. Turkish pop represented a relatively small percentage of what was being digested, at least by the younger viewers/listeners that use YouTube.

That's probably true in many places btw. Foreign artists are often as popular, if not moreso as the local artists, especially if the local music scene is not that well-developed, or (lets be honest) good. I like alot of Turkish pop though, and also happen to think some of it's pretty good, even if the Turks don't. :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #19 of 342
A little taste of some Turkish Arabesque/folk music, by Ankarali Coskun in this case. I am far less familiar with artists in this genre than the more mainstream pop artists, but it's fun checkin out the dudes, and their instruments...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #20 of 342
The long-necked lute in the video is a larger member of the baglama or saz family (the most popular folk instrument in Turkey). Saz instruments come in several different sizes, shapes & neck-lengths. A "baglama saz" (or just "baglama") is a fretted saz. And the frets are often movable.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #21 of 342
The reed/wind-blow instrument (similar to an oboe) is another popular instrument in Turkish folk music called a "zurna".

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 342
A few tracks by one of my favorite ballad singers, Funda Arar. Some of these are on the brighter side, but that's just somethin you have to get used to in this genre. Most Turk-pop will sound better on somewhat bassier, roomier sounding HPs. An EQ also helps.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 342
This video could probably use a little more editing to better sync the sound and images. But Funda's vocals are top notch on this...

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 342
SQ is not perfect (there's a bit too much loudness compression imo), so watch volume on this.

This, and the next vid are two of my favorites though by Ms. Arar...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 342
More Hande Yener. This lady was sort of my first love in the genre. And she's still one of the best imo, though she has ALOT more competition now. This track is from her 2011 album Tesekkurler (Thank You). SQ is not perfect on this...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 342
...And one of my favorite newbies, Elif Kaya, on the same label. These are both well on the brighter side.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 342
There are so many good female artists in this genre (imo) that it's easy for me to forget the dudes. There are some dudes that put out some pretty nice work too though... now and then. :) (That was a joke btw. There are alot of good male performers in this genre.)

I wouldn't call myself a big fan of either of these guys (Bekir Kose & Kenan Dogulu), but I like the vibe on these two tracks. This first one contains some devotional content fyi...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back