Popular Classical Music
Feb 27, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #7,276 of 8,790
37F89DD8-A6AD-4BD4-88AC-02A86BBF1063.jpeg

96D55581-7B4D-4624-A348-2258836EE0E0.jpeg

D1A02774-BF13-4569-9E0C-3327716E3730.jpeg

98EED0B8-9769-472F-9342-14689EBDFB42.jpeg

A few suggestions so that nobody gets the idea that there is no outstanding classical music beyond Johann Sebastian Bach 😉

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #7,277 of 8,790
We agree completely this time, and nice that you posted Bright Eyes which I think was Anoushka Shankar´s first collaboration with Alev Lenz.
There are several versions of it on YT and I find them all hauntingly beautiful like most of their work together.
Cheers CC
Don’t get too caught up in agreeing with someone. I’d frankly rather disagree than agree. There’s often much more interesting and substantive discussions to be had then. As long as all parties have mutual respect for one another, they can really go all out, clash hard if necessary and then laugh about it together afterward. Circle jerks are rather lame parties in my experience.

And when it comes to matters of personal preference, I’m not even sure how applicable the word “agree” is.

Theremin, now all but forgotten and an instrument many have never even heard of, has been bravely championed by Carolina Eyck.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #7,278 of 8,790
A Mozart Concert
Yesterday in Madrid we had a wonderful Mozart concert.

Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra
Ronald Brautigam, piano​

W. A. Mozart
Eine Kleine Nachtmusic K.525 (1787)
Concierto para piano y orquesta n.º 12 KV.414 (1782)
Adagio y Fuga K.546 (1788)
Concierto para piano y orquesta n.º 14 KV.449 (1784)​

As the concertino rightly pointed out nothing more soothing than Mozart in these difficult times.
Here two videos from the wonderful musicians of yesterday‘s concert.

Mozart: Sonata no. 8 KV310 | Ronald Brautigam​

Mozart: Symphony No. 29 in A major, K.201 - Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra - Live Concert HD​

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #7,279 of 8,790
Don’t get too caught up in agreeing with someone. I’d frankly rather disagree than agree. There’s often much more interesting and substantive discussions to be had then. As long as all parties have mutual respect for one another, they can really go all out, clash hard if necessary and then laugh about it together afterward. Circle jerks are rather lame parties in my experience.

And when it comes to matters of personal preference, I’m not even sure how applicable the word “agree” is.

Theremin, now all but forgotten and an instrument many have never even heard of, has been bravely championed by Carolina Eyck.

Not forgotten by Kalevi Aho who has also composed a Concerto for Theremin,coupled with his wonderful Horn Concerto and featuring Caroline Eyck both excellently recorded by BIS.
Also in my collection.
Regarding agreeing I merely noted that unlike Mozart we seemed to agree on Anoushka Shankar.
I have no problems disagreeing either.
i have been in some heated discussions at other threads on some popular music genres which to me and my taste contain barely has any resemblence to music as I hear it. RAP being my absolute opposite pole .
I want to put my fingers in my ears whenever I am assaulted by it.
If my memory serves me right I think even an old Rocker like Mick Jagger has said RAP is for people who can´t even speak with accurate pitch. I am not a Stones fan at all, basically the only thing I like by them is the acoustic version of "Keith don´t go."
In my youth I much preferred the Beatles over Stones and I still enjoy some of their best tracks, but nowadays I mainly listen to Western Classical Art music both old and modern and Eastern Asian World Music.
And my ears are open to new discoveries like Agnes Obel whose music I was recently introduced to by STR1 on a tech thread here.
I really like her Live in Paris Concert.
Imho a very musical and creative young woman worth lending an ear.Agnes Obel - Philharmonics - Live at Philharmonie de Paris - YouTube

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #7,280 of 8,790
A Mozart Concert
Yesterday in Madrid we had a wonderful Mozart concert.

Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra​

Ronald Brautigam, piano​

W. A. Mozart​

Eine Kleine Nachtmusic K.525 (1787)​

Concierto para piano y orquesta n.º 12 KV.414 (1782)​

Adagio y Fuga K.546 (1788)​

Concierto para piano y orquesta n.º 14 KV.449 (1784)​

As the concertino rightly pointed out nothing more soothing than Mozart in these difficult times.
Here two videos from the wonderful musicians of yesterday‘s concert.

Mozart: Sonata no. 8 KV310 | Ronald Brautigam​

Mozart: Symphony No. 29 in A major, K.201 - Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra - Live Concert HD​

I have some of Brautigam´s Mozart Piano Concertos on orginal instrument but do not like them. I much prefer Mozart on a Grand Piano although he did not have access to one himself.
Brautigam sounds too thin and "plinkety plonky" for me. .Mozart on gut strings and tuned to 432hz on the other hand ,now that is something I do like.
Imho it is misconception among some of the HIP movement that Mozart should be played without vibrato too. He had nothing against vibrato
But with gut strings you do not need it as much because of their tuned to 432 hz warmer darker sound then what most of us are used to hearing today.
One of the best live Mozart Concerts I have ever been to was in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago when The Orchestra of the Enlightenment was on Tour and played an all Mozart program including the wonderful 29th symphony.
Cheers CC
PS My own next live concert visit will be this coming week, looking forward to hearing Sibelius 6th live. It has been years since last time.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #7,282 of 8,790

Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1, Spring | Romanian Youth Orchestra and Cristian Mandeal​

Thanks Luis.
And time for another WOW!

What a wonderfully youthful and fresh performance of this the happiest of Schumann´s Symphonies.
" Con chicas lindas tambien".
Also surprisingly naturally recorded without any obvious artificial spotmicing.
Nice ambient sound even via YT.
When I watched it I got filled with hope for the future of Art Music also in Europe and not ony in SE Asia where I already know there is hope.
At most of the few live concerts I have been to in Sweden this winter the majority of the audience like myself ,always seem to be somewhere between 65 and death and only at the Opera and Piano Academy in Vadstena have I seen such young musicians and audiences as here.
It is still a bit early for Spring here though ,I went skiing both Saturday and Sunday afternoon and I was completely snowed in for three days earlier this week 35 centimetres of fresh snow made it impossible to drive anywhere.
How´s Madrid?
Allready in full Spring?
Cheers CC

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #7,283 of 8,790
Aida Garifullina - Il dolce suono (from Lucia di Lammermoor by G. Donizetti) conductor Alexander Sladkovsky & Tatarstan National Symphony Orchestra

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #7,284 of 8,790
Thanks Luis.
And time for another WOW!

What a wonderfully youthful and fresh performance of this the happiest of Schumann´s Symphonies.
" Con chicas lindas tambien".
Also surprisingly naturally recorded without any obvious artificial spotmicing.
Nice ambient sound even via YT.
When I watched it I got filled with hope for the future of Art Music also in Europe and not ony in SE Asia where I already know there is hope.
At most of the few live concerts I have been to in Sweden this winter the majority of the audience like myself ,always seem to be somewhere between 65 and death and only at the Opera and Piano Academy in Vadstena have I seen such young musicians and audiences as here.
It is still a bit early for Spring here though ,I went skiing both Saturday and Sunday afternoon and I was completely snowed in for three days earlier this week 35 centimetres of fresh snow made it impossible to drive anywhere.
How´s Madrid?
Allready in full Spring?
Cheers CC
Hi Christer, lucky your attending Sibelius 6th soon. I have never seen that one live. I like Sibelius. Later in the year I will see the 1st, 2nd and also Pelléas et Mélisande.

Madrid unfortunately is in full Spring. It is bad since we had not had rain or snow for a couple of months and a strong drought seems very likely next summer unless things change a lot! Having sun is nice, too much can also be very bad! My daughter is now skying in Sierra Nevada, south Spain where she has just barely enough snow to sky.

As to what you say, here in Madrid, many concert´s audiences are often really aged. Concerts of the Spanish Radio and tv orquestra are really almost like a retirement home. Sometimes is really off putting. I remember recently attending a concert where they played Brahms first symphony. The performance was really good but the audience was not excited at all, which is sad for the musicians and everybody else really. The hall was half empty and very very aged. These concerts do not get proper promotion since discounts and last minute deals are really a bargain. National orquestra is better as to the age of the audience, but I´m mid fifties and usually of the younger bunch. Some concerts fortunatelly give also hope and you can also see younger people and a more mixed balanced audience. Also sometimes some wonderful young musicians like María Dueñas, only 19, that I saw last year and she´s amazing. Here a bit of her with the Spanish radio and Tv orquestra

Concierto para violín - L. van Beethoven - Dir. Josep Caballé-Domenech - María Dueñas violín​

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #7,286 of 8,790
Hi Christer, lucky your attending Sibelius 6th soon. I have never seen that one live. I like Sibelius. Later in the year I will see the 1st, 2nd and also Pelléas et Mélisande.

Madrid unfortunately is in full Spring. It is bad since we had not had rain or snow for a couple of months and a strong drought seems very likely next summer unless things change a lot! Having sun is nice, too much can also be very bad! My daughter is now skying in Sierra Nevada, south Spain where she has just barely enough snow to sky.

As to what you say, here in Madrid, many concert´s audiences are often really aged. Concerts of the Spanish Radio and tv orquestra are really almost like a retirement home. Sometimes is really off putting. I remember recently attending a concert where they played Brahms first symphony. The performance was really good but the audience was not excited at all, which is sad for the musicians and everybody else really. The hall was half empty and very very aged. These concerts do not get proper promotion since discounts and last minute deals are really a bargain. National orquestra is better as to the age of the audience, but I´m mid fifties and usually of the younger bunch. Some concerts fortunatelly give also hope and you can also see younger people and a more mixed balanced audience. Also sometimes some wonderful young musicians like María Dueñas, only 19, that I saw last year and she´s amazing. Here a bit of her with the Spanish radio and Tv orquestra

Concierto para violín - L. van Beethoven - Dir. Josep Caballé-Domenech - María Dueñas violín​

Hi again, sorry to hear about the "too nice and sunny "weather in Spain and fearing a drought .
We had a very nice Christmas and New Year with enough snow.
But from mid January until last weekend really terrible weather with lots of rain and storms that knocked out power for several days sometimes. The period between late January until the last week of February has been one of the toughtest for me during these to years to get through. But after not having been able to ski for a month it is wonderful to be able to do so again. And all the restrictions at concerts have now been scrapped here .
Sierra Nevada and skiing , I drove through that region too late in the season for skiing on one of my trips to Spain.
Nice flowers though.
I enjoyed watching glorious young María perform Beethoven´s Violin Concerto so well. Sad about all those face masks though. There was even a trumpet player who looked like he was blowing through a face mask.
As far as young people at classical music concerts go Singapore is amazing.
Cheers CC

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #7,289 of 8,790
Hania Rani “Biala Flaga”
D6958EE1-316F-4199-9B74-6546AA0B052B.jpeg

Skip first 6 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back