Popular bands that you don't understand why they are so popular.
Sep 29, 2002 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
We all know of bands that people seem to love however you just do not see why they are so popular. Here is my short list of bands I do not understand their popularity. Please no flaming
Bruce Springstein
Kiss
Aerosmith
U2
REM
I am going to get a flame over this next selection but here it is anyway. Drum roll please...........The Beatles.

Sep 29, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 33
I'm with you on:

Bruce Springstein
U2
REM

I kinda like Kiss, some of the songs are awesome. Aerosmith is so-so, I like maybe 3-4 songs, that's all.

I guess most of these bands become popular through concerts.

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 33
what's your point exactly? you don't like those bands? or, can't you see what other people like in them?

hell, theres something to like in all music be it The Beatles, Britney, The Boss (it's SpringstEEn BTW) or Beethoven. I'm no fan of the Beatles either, but theres some great songs there anyway (just very 60s mostly...thats really a stretch for a 19 year old). everyone gets something else out of music anyway. I mean, I could name any number of artists I don't like that lots of other people love.

I just don't see where this topic should lead
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
what's your point exactly? you don't like those bands? or, can't you see what other people like in them?

hell, theres something to like in all music be it The Beatles, Britney, The Boss (it's SpringstEEn BTW) or Beethoven. I'm no fan of the Beatles either, but theres some great songs there anyway (just very 60s mostly...thats really a stretch for a 19 year old). everyone gets something else out of music anyway. I mean, I could name any number of artists I don't like that lots of other people love.

I just don't see where this topic should lead
confused.gif

I just do not see why they are so popular. Is all. And you don't have to fix my spelling there bud. This is not high school. I don't have to explain myself to you.

Sep 29, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 33
I never understood how a lot of bands got so popular. The ones you mentioned Mathew are ones I wondered about too. I bought the Beatles One cd and I bet I haven't listened to it twice in the last year. I hear all the hype and think of a couple songs of theirs and buy the cd, then realize that most of their work isn't that good.
A few more for the list;
Guns N Roses
Limp Bizkit
Britney SpEErs............ Quote:

(it's SpringstEEn BTW)

The Who

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 33
Guide to Popularity v.1.0:

-Get a hit single.

End.
Repeat for more popularity.

Sep 29, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 33
I don't see why it's hard to understand at all, even if you don't like these bands:
  1. The Beatles: Started out as a teeny-bopper they're-so-cute-band and ended up making music that stretched the genre and introduced all kinds of new sounds to early rock 'n roll. Unarguably one of the best bands of their era.
  2. Kiss: Hard-rocking, face-painted goons in the time of disco and all things polyester. What else would an 18-year old American male want to listen to?
  3. Springsteen: All-American music from the All-American kid from central Jersey. Definitely went well with the Reagan days, even if no one payed attention to his politics. (I don't like Springsteen, mostly.)
  4. U2: A real, guitar-playing band with a real, singing frontman who put out emotional music when everything else is "oops, I did it again" and "I did it all for the nookie." (I don't really like U2.)
  5. Aerosmith: Pure swining rock n' roll with a Jagger-esque lead singer and a faux-Zeppelin sound. Their music originated in the rocking '70s, spanned the crap-rock '80s, and stayed alive into the new rock '90s. (I don't think Aerosmith is particularly good, but I enjoy their music occasionally.)
  6. REM: Definitely not as big as the rest of these bands. Just one of the upper-tier alt-rock bands.
  7. Guns N' Roses: The best of '80s/early '90s -- big hair, screaming guitars, and band members who hate each other. Music in the vein of AC/DC -- fun and hard.
  8. Limp Bizkit: Hard-core for suburban kids who don't know what hard-core is. And they were somewhat original, being one of the first rap-rock bands.
  9. Britney: I'd poke her.
kerelybonto

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

And they were somewhat original, being one of the first rap-rock bands

Wasn't that Run-DMC? And didn't the Beastie Boys do it too? And there were probably others, just Limp Bizkit made the genre more mainstream.

Sep 30, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Well, It's sorta obvious why all the pop bands are popular:

Backstreet Boys/n'sync/everything else: Pre-teen girls. Need I say more?

Britney Speares(sp?): Preteen boys. Ditto.

Yes, I'm afraid today's music is being driven by 12 year olds. So that's why sound quality is going down the gutter.
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 33
Matthew-Spaltro, no ones says you have to like them. I don't like most of them. Just trying to explain why some people like them, as you asked. ...

royboy2k, yeah, you're right that other bands did the rap-rock thing before Limp Bizkit. But Freddy and his boys don't sound anything like the Beasties or Run-DMC, and there are tons of bands that sound like Limp Bizkit now.

kerelybonto

Sep 30, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
I just do not see why they are so popular. Is all. And you don't have to fix my spelling there bud. This is not high school. I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hey, chill out there, Matthew. Correcting someone's spelling is usually stupid (and done when in a flame war and the person doesn't have an argument to stand on.) But spelling someone's name correctly shows respect for that person, regardless of whether or not you like them. (Hope I spelled yours right!
biggrin.gif
) Of course, if you don't respect these singers/banders, then all bets are off...

As for the singers/bands you mentioned, I think all their old stuff is great, and all their new stuff is terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back