Pop Music that is secretly good
Apr 12, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #32 of 44
lol...how could I forget Sandra
biggrin.gif

Most of the late 80's were filled with Maria Magdalena and hi hi hi! flashbacks.
I hope they reintroduce those keyboards you could wear on a strap like a guitar
wink.gif

On the secretly good pop music....included in this I would put also The Police. Of course, everyone has heard of them and knows all their tunes, so no secret there, but they are classified as pop and I think most casual listeners dont realise how clever and intricate their songs are and what the musicians achieved with their jazz knowledge mixed with reaggae and pop seamlessy without it souding cheezy or over-worked...less is more
biggrin.gif

Like Andy Summers has stated he got the idea for the Every Breath You Take riff from Bartok duets he had been playing on guitar at the time, and that the Bring on the Night riff was inspired by Villa-Lobos....

I think some early Michael Jackson from the 80's also is better than most people give credit. Van Halen and Steve Lukather added some serious guitar playing to the song Beat It. the bassline for Billie Jean is still one of the best in pop for my money.

'nuff said

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by geforcewong
I think Coco Lee is ok and probably one of the more talented artists in the China region. I've noticed that a lot of the asian popstars (mostly the movie stars that try to sing) sound horrible and their pitch is off, but I don't complain cause they are attractive
biggrin.gif

Coco Lee is actually VERY good, among blatantly pop Chinese female singers. Although I don't dig her style of music (much less for her "image"), I am impressed by her singing live.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind
I think some early Michael Jackson from the 80's also is better than most people give credit. Van Halen and Steve Lukather added some serious guitar playing to the song Beat It. the bassline for Billie Jean is still one of the best in pop for my money.

'nuff said

Give in to me too has some seriously good guitaring from Slash.

WHile on the female vocals sub thread, THe Coors and Cardigans too have some some songs that are very hummable in the bathroom while taking a shower.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Honestly, saying you like Dido is not really brave.
biggrin.gif
I've never heard her lumped in with Britney Spears and she shouldn't be. But anyway...

I like female dance/pop music. It also helps that a majority of them are attractive.
biggrin.gif

Robyn

Yeah, Robyn is pretty solid. It is cool that she does a lot of the productions for her own albums, and co-owns her record label.

I only have self-titled. How are her other releases?

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
uh I'll toss in.. Ayumi Hamasaki?
tongue.gif

Maybe it's just the language barrier (ie I have absolutely no understanding of the Japanese language whatsoever), but the translated lyrics I've read on fansites for her music seem sort of deep and poetic for a lot of songs.

Come to think of it, Utada's stuff seems deepish too.

Maybe the usual American pop that the OP is trying to avoid is just so bad that I can call Ayumi and other Jpop artists poetic lol. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I doubt they write their own songs, although I do like Utada's japanese productions

2) Have you ever heard Ayumi sing live? It's a real treat.

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #37 of 44
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 44
George Michael first comes to mind when I think about quality pop.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #40 of 44
I used to be secretive about listening to Korean pop about 5 months ago, but fastforward to today, after coming out of the (rofl) kpop closet, I'm pretty sure I'm obsessed. Been buying albums left and eight.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #41 of 44
Is it at all embarrassing to like pop music any more? I thought that we could just put airquotes around it and get away with liking pretty much anything.

That said, I really love Susan Boyle's version of "Wild Horses" and Leona Lewis's version of "Run". And I thought that Jedward's Eurovision song was pretty good as well.

But that's not really the point of the thread anyway, I suppose ... The Wombles were secretly good.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #42 of 44

Quote:
Coco Lee is actually VERY good, among blatantly pop Chinese female singers. Although I don't dig her style of music (much less for her "image"), I am impressed by her singing live.

Having seen Coco Lee live in concert (here in the US, at Mountain View, CA's Shoreline Amphitheater), she is indeed very good.  Too bad her typical fans won't allow her to grow musically. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 44
Usually I am listening to alternative and progressive rock. The prog rock is usually in the lighter style like Supertramp, Kate Bush and Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

But I've found out there's a lot of good dance and electronica these days to. So I listen to the likes of David Guetta, Bob Taylor and Armand van Helden also.
I don't own any dance albums I must confess, but let MTV Dance play in the background a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back