[Poor Man Reviews] Audio Technica ATH-IM02
Feb 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #61 of 87
  I recently purchsed the IM02, and had trouble finding the correct fit with the tips provided, therefore missing out on the tight bass. I ended up using sony hybrid tips, the largest ones (light-blue). They work perfectly well, and fit snugly on the IM02 nozzles

Just FYI for whoever has the same issue.

Was there any change in isolation/sound when going to the Sony hybrids? I love the sound I'm getting out of the stock silicons but the isolation is minimal and I lose a ton of micro-detail in coffee shops/etc. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #62 of 87
Was there any change in isolation/sound when going to the Sony hybrids? I love the sound I'm getting out of the stock silicons but the isolation is minimal and I lose a ton of micro-detail in coffee shops/etc. 

Hi,
I'm afraid that yes, there is a change in sound when using the Sony Hybrid silicone tips. The mid-bass and bass become much more pronounced and start to bleed into the mids and highs, throwing the sound signature out of balance. However, it does make for a better sound signature for using the headphone "out and about," on a commute for example, as it drowns out the ambient lower frequency external atmospheric "rumble" noise. For home listening I prefer the original AT tips, which I have managed to fit well by pushing them a good distance in the ear canal, and making sure they seal correctly by way of moving them around a bit in there.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #63 of 87
Hi,
I'm afraid that yes, there is a change in sound when using the Sony Hybrid silicone tips. The mid-bass and bass become much more pronounced and start to bleed into the mids and highs, throwing the sound signature out of balance. However, it does make for a better sound signature for using the headphone "out and about," on a commute for example, as it drowns out the ambient lower frequency external atmospheric "rumble" noise. For home listening I prefer the original AT tips, which I have managed to fit well by pushing them a good distance in the ear canal, and making sure they seal correctly by way of moving them around a bit in there.

Ok; well I ordered them last night so we'll see how they sound when they get here. I ended up throwing my old Comply's on there and doing the flip/cut mod I remember from 2010 :) 

Sound is great and comfort/isolation are superb. We'll see how the hybrids stack up; hopefully I get the same SQ/isolation with the benefit of the silicon covering. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #64 of 87
Ok; well I ordered them last night so we'll see how they sound when they get here. I ended up throwing my old Comply's on there and doing the flip/cut mod I remember from 2010 :) 

Sound is great and comfort/isolation are superb. We'll see how the hybrids stack up; hopefully I get the same SQ/isolation with the benefit of the silicon covering. 

They will certainly make a difference, more bassy than the Comply's, but with more versatility and convenience (and comfort, subjectively) as well.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #66 of 87
Very nice review! I'm an owner of the IM50 and ben looking at the IM02 fo possible future upgrade... I'l try to find the demo after this... Once again... Great review!

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #67 of 87
  Are the im02 accurate enough to use in a recording studio? 

I would say that yes, they are able to fill a recording/reference role; accurate, clear, analytic - thereby good enough for reference. 

It might be better to use a headphone with a more "mainstream/commercial" musical sound signature (read: ATH-M50x sig), however, depending on the type of music that you're recording.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #68 of 87

I've been looking for true upgrade for my RE0, which the right driver died after my fourth year's abusive behavior.

I'm now looking for an IEM that can satisfied my need. I did picked up Havi B3 Pro 1 which is very, very excellent but quite harsh and sibilance for me. Either I got a faulty product or it is just me that is very sensitive to "SSS"/"TSSSH" pronunciation. Later on I picked up Hifiman RE400 which share similar sound to RE0.

I found that RE400 is too smooth and forgiving for my taste, the iem itself is very good with good mid bass, detailed sweet midrange and airy vocals.
However the upper mid region is often too muffled and I couldn't find high pitch instruments I always hear in fast complex music(e.g. Electric Guitar in Japanese Pop songs). I also find the low bass is very low in quantity, even compared to the more neutral RE0 but that doesn't bother me much. 

a new pair of IM02 sell for $280 here, it's out of my budget but I might get the second-hand pair for about $200. I'd have to sell my Takstar and RE400 to get it, though.

Now onto the question, how does this compared to RE0 in terms of midrange, upper midrange, layering and it's ability to play complex song?
RE400's delicate mid is so good for music like swings or jazz.. but when I throw J-pop/pop at it with many instrument playing at once, everything sounds so muffled and overlapping especially on upper mid region. there's not enough "bite" and forwardness in RE400 on that region whilst RE0 do just fine.  How will IM02 perform in this region?
if you do happen to have IM02/RE0/RE400 and listen to Japanese Pop, here's the track I'm talking about

and how is IM02 with deep insertion? my ear canal is very big, VERY VERY BIG. I can't even fit the largest silicon tips all of my IEM provided when I bought it, and got the biggest one from the local store I can find. But even so, I can't get proper seal without deep insertion.
I do have my own tips, but I'm afraid that the nozzle for IM02 isn't long enough or the driver's shell is too thick to give me proper seal/deep insertion seal for me.
Anyone knows how wide is the nozzle of the IM02? will this be a correct choice for me or will I have to hunt the true RE0 replacement all over again?
bigsmile_face.gif

sorry for bumping

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #69 of 87

I've been looking for true upgrade for my RE0, which the right driver died after my fourth year's abusive behavior.

I'm now looking for an IEM that can satisfied my need. I did picked up Havi B3 Pro 1 which is very, very excellent but quite harsh and sibilance for me. Either I got a faulty product or it is just me that is very sensitive to "SSS"/"TSSSH" pronunciation. Later on I picked up Hifiman RE400 which share similar sound to RE0.

I found that RE400 is too smooth and forgiving for my taste, the iem itself is very good with good mid bass, detailed sweet midrange and airy vocals.
However the upper mid region is often too muffled and I couldn't find high pitch instruments I always hear in fast complex music(e.g. Electric Guitar in Japanese Pop songs). I also find the low bass is very low in quantity, even compared to the more neutral RE0 but that doesn't bother me much. 

a new pair of IM02 sell for $280 here, it's out of my budget but I might get the second-hand pair for about $200. I'd have to sell my Takstar and RE400 to get it, though.

Now onto the question, how does this compared to RE0 in terms of midrange, upper midrange, layering and it's ability to play complex song?
RE400's delicate mid is so good for music like swings or jazz.. but when I throw J-pop/pop at it with many instrument playing at once, everything sounds so muffled and overlapping especially on upper mid region. there's not enough "bite" and forwardness in RE400 on that region whilst RE0 do just fine.  How will IM02 perform in this region?
if you do happen to have IM02/RE0/RE400 and listen to Japanese Pop, here's the track I'm talking about

and how is IM02 with deep insertion? my ear canal is very big, VERY VERY BIG. I can't even fit the largest silicon tips all of my IEM provided when I bought it, and got the biggest one from the local store I can find. But even so, I can't get proper seal without deep insertion.
I do have my own tips, but I'm afraid that the nozzle for IM02 isn't long enough or the driver's shell is too thick to give me proper seal/deep insertion seal for me.
Anyone knows how wide is the nozzle of the IM02? will this be a correct choice for me or will I have to hunt the true RE0 replacement all over again?
bigsmile_face.gif

sorry for bumping

I have the RE-400, but I haven't un-boxed yet. I'll post some thoughts soon. From the various reviews, however, one could deduce that the IM02 is the analytic earphone, and the RE-400 the bright-balanced one.

Regarding insertion, I also have large ear-canals and hence the afore-described issues with fit and corresponding fixes using SONY hybrid tips. Thankfully the shell can go quite deep. As always, "try to try," before you buy.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #70 of 87

I have the RE-400, but I haven't un-boxed yet. I'll post some thoughts soon. From the various reviews, however, one could deduce that the IM02 is the analytic earphone, and the RE-400 the bright-balanced one.

Regarding insertion, I also have large ear-canals and hence the afore-described issues with fit and corresponding fixes using SONY hybrid tips. Thankfully the shell can go quite deep. As always, "try to try," before you buy.

can't say RE400 is bright, since the upper mid/low treble region is very, very smooth and somewhat recessed while having low mid region sounding detailed and sweet.

the sub bass is rolled-off, though. The thick midrange makes the overall sound a little bit fun and warm... it's detailed but not as detailed as RE0, layering/instrument separation is pretty good in low midrange where piano sound shines, but give it a try on complex song..

May 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #71 of 87
Hi Guys,

Not sure if someone already posted this query earlier. Wanted to know how the IM02s sound without amping from a phone. And what could be some decent phone options to go along with this? Anyone has used it directly from Oneplus One?

I have been reading that these are real picky about the source; so posting this query.

Thanks in advance.

May 18, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #72 of 87
anyone has Im 02 and havi B3 pro 1? which one do you like? overall soundstage? :) Thanks! 

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #74 of 87
  Very nice review! I'm an owner of the IM50 and ben looking at the IM02 fo possible future upgrade... I'l try to find the demo after this... Once again... Great review!

Been looking at it as well, and I own IM50, were you able to get a pair yourself? how'd it fair, is it worth the upgrade? tia!

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #75 of 87
  Been looking at it as well, and I own IM50, were you able to get a pair yourself? how'd it fair, is it worth the upgrade? tia!

For roughly $150 i think the im02 is a steal, if you want a cleaner, more balanced and detailed sound then its a good choice. The only issue you might have is getting a good seal, they dont insert into the ear as deep as the im50/70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back