PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,336 of 4,866
I'm getting quite a bit of skipping—the song stops and resumes a second or two later—with both 24/192 and DSD tracks. Have the latest firmware (I think). Anyone have similar experiences?

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,341 of 4,866
Have you done a "system reset" holding down the round button for 10 seconds? If yes, I'd send it in to Pono for repair if it is happening on a regular basis with different files. BTW, current firmware is v1.0.6

Thanks for the advice. I tried clearing space on the hard drive and card, also doing a factory reset. Neither solved the problem, so I opened a support ticket with Pono.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #4,342 of 4,866
Received the Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas IEMs recently. Have been breaking them in with the balanced cable. Sound good so far. There are a lot of combos to work thru with all the tips and filters. They sound different than the Flare Audio R2Pro.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #4,343 of 4,866
Finally got the Atlas dialed in using purple filters. They barely fit me. Luckily Trinity is coming out with longer filters to help.

Easy to compare balanced vs single ended drive with the Trinity. Balanced wins all the way around. More natural detail with greater dynamics. Everything sounds more real. Not a subtle upgrade.

So glad Pono followed through with balanced drive. Imagine it was a pain dealing with customers not understanding how the feature works and the special equipmebt required. Balanced seems to be better understood now. There are so many balanced earphone options now. It is becoming the new standard for earphones. With so many other players offering balanced it appears to be the future of quality earphones.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #4,344 of 4,866
True, more players/amps have balanced options, but the connectors used by Pono aren't all that common. I use acs Encores, they use Linum cables, Linum only makes the connector that goes into the A&K players, with 1 connector. I had to get an adaptor made to be able to use it with the Pono. Glad I did though, sounds nice this way (I wasn't convinced about the combo single ended).

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #4,345 of 4,866
It is a shame that there are more than 1 way to connect balanced phones. Not sure Pono is the rarest way to do it. Sony picked the same method. As long as the earphones have interchangeable cables all connection methods can be handled. Cardas did it in an interesting way. Their cables don't detach. Just the end swaps out for different connectors.

Think any quality earphone company has to plan for balanced drive in the future. Earphones are evolving.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #4,347 of 4,866
@koukol, I did get it to work, as did others. Assuming there is only one kind of EQ in PMW. I remember somewhere in PMW having to tell it to modify the file permanently, as opposed to just playback in PMW. There was also a place to specify the type of output file format. Sounds like that is your problem. Don't remember how to do it. There was a thread on the Pono forum about it. The Pono person that discovered it first found it on the JRiver Media site. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,350 of 4,866
@koukol, I did get it to work, as did others. Assuming there is only one kind of EQ in PMW. I remember somewhere in PMW having to tell it to modify the file permanently, as opposed to just playback in PMW. There was also a place to specify the type of output file format. Sounds like that is your problem. Don't remember how to do it. There was a thread on the Pono forum about it. The Pono person that discovered it first found it on the JRiver Media site. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, B.

Is there a seperate Pono Forum other than the one in the JRiver Forum?

The Graphic EQ works but I dislike the chosen frequencies.
For some strange reason the Parametric EQ won't open even when I want to EQ a CD I ripped with PMW.
Why would there be a format problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back