PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jun 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3,511 of 4,858
  Copyright infringement?  Sure, they say that at the bottom but it's not like I'm stealing their intellectual material for profit or re-use, just giving it a wider audience ...

That's the same BS that folks use when they STEAL music from torrent sites and "give" it to their friends. I don't believe you have the authority to determine the use of Pono intellectual materials. I'm a little partial to folks taking material they don't rightly own or acquire permission to use, being a musician and all. You are violating copyright, period,. You can rationalize it any way you wish but it i still illegal use. Rant over

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,512 of 4,858
It's quite a leap from pirating music (which is for sale and is not available unless you purchase it) to reposting instructions freely available on a website to anyone who bothers to register to access it (and in this case I posted because someone here was unable to access that site because he had computer problems).  The two issues are if you are buying cables from someone who DOESN'T know what they are doing, or if you are doing it yourself.  In those cases, an error will fry the Pono if the cables are not done right.  Pono, given the choices, does NOT want a spate of blown-up Ponos.

Am I stealing music here?  No.  Was I a photographer for thirty years, well-aware of copyright law?  Yes. You are nit-picking, and making a poor case while doing so.   

Do you ever break the law?  No?

When you drive, do you break the speed limit?  Do you admit to yourself that you are a law-breaker and should be punished for doing so?  What else do you do that is not completely within the boundaries of totally being legal.  C'mon, there's more, isn't there?  Borrow a friend's CD or DVD?  Read the small print, you didn't buy it, it's not yours to use.  Uh-oh.  Remove the tag from your mattress?  

Everything is not black and white, and your premise that I am somehow hurting Pono is specious.  

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,513 of 4,858
That's the same BS that folks use when they STEAL music from torrent sites and "give" it to their friends. I don't believe you have the authority to determine the use of Pono intellectual materials. I'm a little partial to folks taking material they don't rightly own or acquire permission to use, being a musician and all. You are violating copyright, period,. You can rationalize it any way you wish but it i still illegal use. Rant over

L8MDL, you obviously got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I recommend going back to bed, having a good sleep and try to wake with a bit of cop-on. Losing your cool because someone tries to help someone else, while patently doing utterly no harm to anyone else, is to say the least unfortunate. I'm sure there are many things in your universe on which you could productively sound off. This, with all due respect, is not one of them.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,514 of 4,858

L8MDL, you obviously got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I recommend going back to bed, having a good sleep and try to wake with a bit of cop-on. Losing your cool because someone tries to help someone else, while patently doing utterly no harm to anyone else, is to say the least unfortunate. I'm sure there are many things in your universe on which you could productively sound off. This, with all due respect, is not one of them.

+1

And let's not forget...olddude was some kinda pioneer over here on head-fi, who made a lot of members aware of and interested in the Pono in the first place by his posts in other threads. I'm one of those for sure...he opened my eyes and now I can hear
biggrin.gif

Why should you ''attack'' him for helping people out over here...and as mentioned before, he doesn't benefits financial from doing this (at least not as far as I know) and I also don't think Pono will loose any money on that...instead of that, I think there are probably even more Pono's sold because of this. Please give him some credits for that...

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,515 of 4,858
1+
Lots of things out there to get hot over, this ain't one of them...

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,516 of 4,858
Holy crap!
This is about copy and pasting the Pono info for me?

It can come down as far as I'm concerned since I got through to Pono with my new E-mail and they sent me the pages in HD!! :)
Although it DOES provide valuable information for others as confused as me.

BTW Old~As President of Monsanto I stay rich by buying cheap!

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #3,517 of 4,858

So I too am new here and so I Am Not making personal comments etc. until I have more Forum Cred.
I bought the Pono after reading and watching all the horrid reviews. The testing wasn't done well and Obvoiusly Lossless would sound better with the higher bit rates. So it was the Pono that brought me to Head-Fi and now I'm broke :) As far as posting the Pono info sheets L8MDL (how do you pronounce that) is being a stickler for the letter of,the law and ignoring the intent all at the same time.
The Pono data sheets are posted by Pono for everyone to read free of charge. They are for the public benefit.
On the other hand, when working Musicians, filmmakers, authors and artists have their income stolen via Pirates on BitTorrent sites or wherever, then That is illegal and immoral.
I personally could not compair the two situations and see them as the same. Besides I had not seen the Pono info before and find it useful. Thank you not so oldperson!

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,518 of 4,858

That's a bit over the top mate. Olddude is simple being who he is - one headfier helping out others. If Pono were concerned about Copyright with regard to this material they sure as hell would not make it available on-line in PDF!!

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #3,519 of 4,858
Had a good laugh when I saw the 'copyright' posts. This is completely different than BitTorrent sites and stealing something. It's already freely available.

But I really had to comment on the Monsanto president comments. Does anyone one want to, in the slightest, want to be one of the worlds most evil people?

Go Pono go!! :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3,520 of 4,858

I think I will go with surf if I can find or make a cheap adapter so my 650's won't be chained to my Pono.
This is why I want to know exactly what the plugs are that the Pono in balanced mode take.

I found this and thought I'd post it here in case others are interested.

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2015/03/pono-player-balanced-interconnect-cable.html

It appears an average Monoprice adapter will not work.

These will work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO8W4CK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I sent Pono's pinout diagram to Cable Matters and got confirmation (with a diagram of theirs) that the pinouts match perfectly. Reviews are so-so but the price is low enough to try them.

Can't go wrong with Surf Cables though. Higher quality and no question they would work.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3,521 of 4,858
On sale again at Fry's:
http://www.frys.com/product/8361897?site=72premail061415

Shows $399 but drops to $299 with promo code if you're on their email list (or sign up).

Not as good as the $249 price I jumped on but (so far) it's only hit that price once with shipping avail. The next time it was in store only plus tax (assuming you live close enough to a store).

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3,522 of 4,858
$299 seems to happen fairly often, not sure I'll go in for a 2nd one, but I'll wait for $249 to decide. Not that it isn't worth $299, but since I have one, won't jump in for a second unless it is really cheap!

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,523 of 4,858
Well, you could use the lame excuse I do.

Rather than switch one iBasso DX50 between two headphones (the logical way) I own two DX50 units, one for each headphone. 

its roots back to my OCD about keeping rigs as complete unseparated parings.

Maybe this will work for you guys with Pono Player too. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,524 of 4,858

I think I will go with surf if I can find or make a cheap adapter so my 650's won't be chained to my Pono.
This is why I want to know exactly what the plugs are that the Pono in balanced mode take.

I found this and thought I'd post it here in case others are interested.

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2015/03/pono-player-balanced-interconnect-cable.html

It appears an average Monoprice adapter will not work.

These will work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO8W4CK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I sent Pono's pinout diagram to Cable Matters and got confirmation (with a diagram of theirs) that the pinouts match perfectly. Reviews are so-so but the price is low enough to try them.

Can't go wrong with Surf Cables though. Higher quality and no question they would work.

Cheers...but you've added to my confusion :)

I take it your talking about those instead of a surf cable... and not the adapter.
I'd still need the adapter and another set of custom adapters to connect to my Senny HD650's,,,no?

I really want the Surf cable but hope I can find an adapter cheaper than $70.00 CA for my Little Dot amp before I buy.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,525 of 4,858
If you intention is to minimize wear and tear on your headphone connectors in regards to connecting and disconnecting balanced cables from regular cables. I suggest you buy a set of balanced cables and then an adapter that converts the balanced cable into a regular connector for normal amps and dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back