PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
May 20, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,256 of 4,866
  I was looking for a hearing test and found this....
http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/

I'm not sure if it's accurate as I can hear all tones but the 12 and 16.
???

This is a pretty good site for test materials:
http://www.audiocheck.net/

You can also use SoX for tone generation.

May 20, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,257 of 4,866
I don't know if I buy it. I could hear all the tones on that site--even the 18kHz, albeit very faintly, but the 17kHz was pretty loud and clear. I'm 56 years old and have been listening to rock'n'roll, amplified jazz and orchestral classical music my whole life. My mother, whose degree was in speech pathology, promised me I'd go deaf from my Koss Pro-4AAAs back in the '60s and '70s. So I don't know. Maybe I can hear clearly at 17kHz and even out to 18kHz, but it somehow seems wrong.

May 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #3,258 of 4,866
I also took that test over xmas and heard to 17 kHz. 

But I still struggle to understand English accents still (Im Irish)

Anyone ever heard of cognitive deafness? Not about loudness but words kinda mushing together? 

May 21, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,260 of 4,866
I also took that test over xmas and heard to 17 kHz. 

But I still struggle to understand English accents still (Im Irish)

Anyone ever heard of cognitive deafness? Not about loudness but words kinda mushing together? 

People can have auditory processing problems, where the hearing apparatus is functioning fine, but the part of the brain that does the interpreting has problems, can be issues with separating out sounds in a noisy environment or other issues along those lines (English accents may qualify).

May 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3,261 of 4,866
guys, I am really enjoying my recently acquired Pono so far but wanted to check on one thing:

The player seems to take forever to charge. I leave it on overnight charging and it is still only 75% charged when I wake up in the morning. Is this normal?

Thanks!

May 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,262 of 4,866
  I don't know if I buy it. I could hear all the tones on that site--even the 18kHz, albeit very faintly, but the 17kHz was pretty loud and clear. I'm 56 years old and have been listening to rock'n'roll, amplified jazz and orchestral classical music my whole life. My mother, whose degree was in speech pathology, promised me I'd go deaf from my Koss Pro-4AAAs back in the '60s and '70s. So I don't know. Maybe I can hear clearly at 17kHz and even out to 18kHz, but it somehow seems wrong.

Which site? This one?: http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/

If so, I couldn't hear much past the 12kHz, so that is rather amazing that you could hear 17kHz clearly.

May 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3,263 of 4,866
Yes, that's the one. Subjectively they were about the same level to 15kHz then started appearing to decline with 16kHz. Again, that's to be expected at my age; what's not is that I could hear the 18kHz tone at all, and even the 17kHz one.

May 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3,264 of 4,866
  guys, I am really enjoying my recently acquired Pono so far but wanted to check on one thing:

The player seems to take forever to charge. I leave it on overnight charging and it is still only 75% charged when I wake up in the morning. Is this normal?

Thanks!

The Pono is kind of wonky when it comes to the recharging.
No matter how long I recharge I've never seen my Pono with a full 100% green bar.
Right after I did the latest update my Pono had a pop up warning saying I only had 10% juice left yet the green bar was at 90%.
After I restarted it the pop up went away and in time the 90% proved to be right.

May 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,266 of 4,866
Which site? This one?: http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/

If so, I couldn't hear much past the 12kHz, so that is rather amazing that you could hear 17kHz clearly.

Yes, that's the one. Subjectively they were about the same level to 15kHz then started appearing to decline with 16kHz. Again, that's to be expected at my age; what's not is that I could hear the 18kHz tone at all, and even the 17kHz one.

I usually performed hearing test using my own signal generator (built-in sig gen in mixing console).
With a reference output level at example, 0dB, I started to have problem hearing frequency from 14kHz onwards (and 12kHz onwards on my left ear!) . It is only if I were to raise the output level by +6 or higher and higher, then frequency up 18kHz would become audible.
This is a common hearing loss for most people at around the age 50s (some younger).

I had a listen at freemosquitoringtones, I think the test is not properly levelled. I could hear all tones even at 18kHz. I believe the level for higher frequency is boosted. So this site is not proper if you need to test for hearing loss.

May 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #3,267 of 4,866
I get a better (?) charge if I plug it in while the player is turned on.  I just put it to sleep and let it charge, and the green line goes all the way to the right.  If the player is turned off there's always a bit of a gap between the green line and the right-hand side.  

Using it in Aux Out at full volume into powered speakers seems to drain it pretty quickly.  And running it in balanced mode seems to use up power as well (not that I mind the trade-off in sq). 

May 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #3,268 of 4,866
I get a better (?) charge if I plug it in while the player is turned on.  I just put it to sleep and let it charge, and the green line goes all the way to the right.  If the player is turned off there's always a bit of a gap between the green line and the right-hand side.  

Using it in Aux Out at full volume into powered speakers seems to drain it pretty quickly.  And running it in balanced mode seems to use up power as well (not that I mind the trade-off in sq). 

Will try that next time :)

Loving it with my hd650 ... so-so with the he400. I'm in headphone rolling mode thanks to the Pono

May 23, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,269 of 4,866

I noticed that too.

Pono was completely drained and I let it charge for 4hrs. Dislike that the screen never turns off (hope no burn-in) while charging plus its hard to tell when its full (I assume when the power plug icon turn from white to green).

Anyway, turned it on only to find the green line at like 8/10ths full.

Left it on, plugged charger back in for less than 30min and green line went full across the top.

Very strange..........

May 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3,270 of 4,866
I think the battery in the Pono may be an area of possible weakness.  Especially if you are using balanced mode and hi-res files.  It's not terrible, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the battery and doing a recharge perhaps sooner than planned.  Not a lot worse than my Fiio X5 (which didn't have a balanced mode), but indeed less.  And the method of charging can be a concern, as many report being unable to get what reports to be a full charge with the unit turned off.  

However, the damn thing sounds so good you've gotta forgive it.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back