PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Nov 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,427 of 4,858
Mine is supposed to deliver today, but tracking makes it look like tomorrow.

Still confusion in the Pono store, with most of the tracks being 16/44, with an implication that if you bought it, when the better hirez version is available, you will be able to download the hirez.

If anybody has a limited edition player, are the files sent along on the micro SD care :HiRes" (>16/44.1)?
which albums were included and are they in the store at a higher res than most of what I see (16/44.1)?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,430 of 4,858
  Zorntel said that he'd received a 24/192 neil young track and his Herbie Hancock tracks were 24/96.

That is correct.  The neil young track was on the actual player while the signature tracks were on the microSD card.  

I'm assuming that the HH Headhunter tracks are the 24/96 sony/legacy version that hdtracks has.  The other album was from the Imagine Project which came out in 2010.  I hadn't seen that one in high resolution before.  

Young's stuff has been pretty controlled on high resolution so far...probably because of pono.  I mainly have his music on original or reissued vinyl or CD.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,431 of 4,858
  Where do you see the bitrate/filesize? In the Pono store? Such details aren't showing up for me, but I'm not in the USA, so you may get a different result.

Once you open an album it shows you the "bit rate"  so far most are 16/44.1 with an occasional 24/44.1    , so i expect they will be upgrading it as the site moves to open to the public.
i just wondered if the store had the  HiRes files they were shipping in the limited edition players.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,434 of 4,858
Not yet bruce1967. As of yet it is possible only to pre-order in the U.S. (only ) for delivery in 2015 qtr.1.

I think I remember reading that it won't go on general sale until some way into next year. When you consider the Kickstarter response, I'm not surprised. I'm just waiting for the website's shop to go live.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,436 of 4,858
  That is correct.  The neil young track was on the actual player while the signature tracks were on the microSD card.  

I'm assuming that the HH Headhunter tracks are the 24/96 sony/legacy version that hdtracks has.  The other album was from the Imagine Project which came out in 2010.  I hadn't seen that one in high resolution before.  

Young's stuff has been pretty controlled on high resolution so far...probably because of pono.  I mainly have his music on original or reissued vinyl or CD.

interesting, in the store we get (for HH headhunters): Mar 24, 1993

Record Label: Columbia/Legacy

Resolution: 44.1kHz/16bit

Higher resolution may not be available at this time

even most of Neil Young's albums are loaded at 16/44.1

I wonder if they are loading the database with standard CD copies to get the artwork, track titles and times, etc loaded in the database, since those have been standardized, then going to replace the files with HiRes once the database in complete.

for imagine project:Jun 22, 2010

Record Label: Red

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,438 of 4,858
  interesting, in the store we get (for HH headhunters): Mar 24, 1993

Record Label: Columbia/Legacy

even most of Neil Young's albums are loaded at 16/44.1

I wonder if they are loading the database with standard CD copies to get the artwork, track titles and times, etc loaded in the database, since those have been standardized, then going to replace the files with HiRes once the database in complete.

for imagine project:Jun 22, 2010

Record Label: Red

This is interesting.  One possibility is that they are trying to get breadth as quickly as possible and the low resolution tracks literally take less time to transfer...and less server space...and thus are less likely to put a heavy demand on consumer transfer speed.  Gradual scale-up.  Honestly I don't think they had thought much beyond the player when they rolled out last spring...building an online business of this scale this fast without a lot of IT experience is really challenging...just look at HDtracks...etc...they have been at it for years and still don't get things right on a regular basis.  The machine and know how behind a company like Apple or Google is staggering in comparison.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,439 of 4,858
Pono has said from the beginning that they will make tracks available at the highest resolution possible without artificial re-sampling, and that when higher res tracks become available customers who have purchased earlier releases will be able to upgrade free.  Relax.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,440 of 4,858
  Pono has said from the beginning that they will make tracks available at the highest resolution possible without artificial re-sampling, and that when higher res tracks become available customers who have purchased earlier releases will be able to upgrade free.  Relax.

Do they guarantee the best sounding master/mix available though?  See, if they did that kind of legwork for me, I might be more interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back