PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #856 of 4,858
And btw, I think that's one of the epic fails of HD Tracks...not offering all tracks as singles. Many songs are "album only". I honestly believe it's policies like that (and yes I know it's likely the artist and/or label insisting on it) that often helps encourage piracy. JMO

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #857 of 4,858
Actually the epic fail of that site is the fact they charge MORE for doing less, ie, skipping the down sampling step. They hide behind the "bandwith" argument.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #858 of 4,858
Marone, I think Saraguie's post was meant to point to the fact that even a cursory search would tell you the Pono player is nowhere near release yet (October is the projected "maybe" date as per the Kickstarter page, which should be an early stop for anyone actively looking into the Pono), and therefore no one here has heard the device or can offer feedback on how it actually sounds.

What just a second...you mean to tell me that all of the attitude wrt PONO both here and elsewhere (and it's scathing) on the Internet is based upon NOT EVEN HAVING HEARD THIS DEVICE?

Some of you are slagging this device a priori without having ever HEARD it?!...The reviews and opinions are of VAPOURWARE?...

Talk about your expectation bias...so much for those who adhere to science claiming they are not biased and that they base their views upon measurements (something that group claims constantly)...yikes.

Just another belief system, but they'll never admit it.

How about this rational suggestion:
Wait until the device is available, listen to it and do comparisons with other small form factor players/converters.
THEN build an opinion.

I am more than stunned, folks, Slagging this when it's still vapourware takes the bias (and contempt) that science-firsters have to new levels.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #861 of 4,858
I think it's great that so many people are backing PONO. But what is meant to be so revolutionary about this compared to other portable DACs, i.e Astell & Kern?

If it is competitive in SQ, then the one advantage it carries over many of the high end DAP's would be it's cost (as long as you can download music from sources other than it's Pono site).

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #862 of 4,858
What just a second...you mean to tell me that all of the attitude wrt PONO both here and elsewhere (and it's scathing) on the Internet is based upon NOT EVEN HAVING HEARD THIS DEVICE?

Some of you are slagging this device a priori without having ever HEARD it?!...The reviews and opinions are of VAPOURWARE?...

Talk about your expectation bias...so much for those who adhere to science claiming they are not biased and that they base their views upon measurements (something that group claims constantly)...yikes.

Just another belief system, but they'll never admit it.

How about this rational suggestion:
Wait until the device is available, listen to it and do comparisons with other small form factor players/converters.
THEN build an opinion.

I am more than stunned, folks, Slagging this when it's still vapourware takes the bias (and contempt) that science-firsters have to new levels.

From what I am seeing, it's not so much the device itself that's being doubted....it's the premise that the files from the Pono ecosystem would be markedly better quality than what is already available elsewhere. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #863 of 4,858
LOL yes everyone is fine with another potentially good DAP coming out, but less so with the Pono marketing language as it's extremely misleading if not downright dishonest in regards to digital music formats.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #864 of 4,858
  Ah, a new low, even by the standards of the remains of a once-good newspaper - 
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/rhodri-marsden-neil-youngs-quest-for-purer-listening-is-pure-elitist-garbage-9265626.html

New low keeps digging:
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/03/12/ponoworst

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #867 of 4,858
My point is there were mp3 players before iPod, but Apple got the marketing and digital distribution right. 

Not saying Pono will be the next iPod, but if they get it right it could be the buzzword for high res DAPs in the same way iPod was for mp3 players. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back